* Using AS I somehow created something bizarre

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Kai Chandler
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Using AS I somehow created something bizarre

Post by Kai Chandler »

I used AS to create a census entry for Doritz Marie Tetzlaff who already existed in FH. New in this census was her husband Christian Anders Tetzlaff who was not already in FH, so I created him in AS. Somehow this resulted in this odd focus window in FH with the same couple appearing twice.

The top half above the line, with their children, is correct the but bottom half below the line is redundant.

Can anyone help me understand what happened and how to correct it?
Snap106.jpg
Snap106.jpg (288.66 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Using AS I somehow created something bizarre

Post by NickWalker »

Can you paste in the log entry for this into this chat thread. You will find the log viewer in the Tools menu in AS.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Kai Chandler
Diamond

Post by Kai Chandler »

sure, here you are....
AS log.txt
(1011 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times
Kai Chandler
Diamond

Post by Kai Chandler »

I wonder if I might have been better off creating the husband as a new person in FH and then using AS to create the census entry? Anyway it wouldn't be too much of an issue to restore from backup and start again.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

It is a bit confusing... I can see that you've added two people called Christian Tetzlaff in AS. One of them (ID 447) appears to not have been added to the census entry at all, there is no reference to them being added to a family so they look like they are not linked to anyone, they had no census or birth fact added to them. So it looks like they were added as an unrelated individual.

The other Christian (448) was added to a new family (ID 215) with Doritz (445): it looks like when they were added as a spouse you chose the option to add them as a new family rather than to the existing family with the children in. This Christian had the census record and birth fact added to them. In your FH screenshot I would expect this Christian to be the one in the bottom family as they don't appear to have any children linked to them.

What is puzzling though is the Christian in the top half of the screen who is recorded as a parent of the two children as this doesn't appear to be the one added in AS (if the log is to be believed). Logically one would imagine this was added by AS but I'd expect AS to mention the family record he was added to if it was so I don't know how that is possible.

Can you see how many Christian Anders Tezlaff you have by looking at the record window in FH and also note what their IDs are?

Nick
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Kai Chandler wrote: 10 Jul 2022 18:32 I wonder if I might have been better off creating the husband as a new person in FH and then using AS to create the census entry? Anyway it wouldn't be too much of an issue to restore from backup and start again.
Well personally I've added hundreds of individuals using AS and I know that 1000s of AS users will have done so too over the last 12 years and I've never had any issues like this reported before so it shouldn't really matter where you added them.
Nick Walker

Kai Chandler
Diamond

Post by Kai Chandler »

Nick, the two Christian Anders on the screenshot are both 448.

In an attempt to tidy up I deleted 447, also Christian Anders, as expanding this entry by using the plus sign on the Individuals tab on FH showed that he had almost no additional additional information.

I've attached a screenshot of Christian and Doritz.

I'm tempted to delete one of the duplicate Spouse family entries and see what happens. I can always restore from the previous backup and try again if things don't go too well!
Snap111.jpg
Snap111.jpg (130.79 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A word of warning. If you delete the wrong Spouse family entries you will orphan the Children, who will have no parents.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

If you view these two families under the Families tab on the Records Window do they show an identical modified time? By expanding these you should be able to work out which one hasn't got the children attached so you know which to delete.

I just don't see how it would be possible for AS to have linked Christian (448) to an existing family and also to a new family and the log entry doesn't suggest it did. So unless you linked Christian as the parent of the children in FH after the AS entry was created, this is a mystery.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker

Kai Chandler
Diamond

Post by Kai Chandler »

I recall adding Christian in AS as an unrelated individual at some point so that's perhaps where I went wrong. I guess I should have added him as a New Spouse to Doritz. I probably did it both ways which would explain why I had two individuals with the same name.

The two families were created at different times. Family 215 was created first and it lacks the children so I plan to delete that. I can always restore from backup and run through the whole process again.
Snap112.jpg
Snap112.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Yes I think this probably explains it. If you delete family 215 all should be OK.
Nick Walker

Kai Chandler
Diamond

Post by Kai Chandler »

Perfect, thanks Nick!!!