* automatic surname when adding a child in census window

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
DJY
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

automatic surname when adding a child in census window

Post by DJY »

I just updated to the latest version of Ancestral Sources and in my first usage, I ran into an issue when entering a census fact where a widow was head of household. This was a new family for me, so I also needed to add a child. I selected the proper couple (the widow and the 2nd husband) to create the parents but I noticed that the surname didn't automatically populate the surname field like it usually did in previous versions. I thought this was a glitch with the latest version but then I decided to make the deceased father the focus person and try again. When I did that, the surname automatically populated the child field. Now I'm not sure if this is a glitch with the new version or if it's always been that way & I didn't notice. It would be nice to have the surname automatically populate in the census "add a child" window when the set of parents is selected, regardless of whether the mother or father was selected as the focus.
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: automatic surname when adding a child in census window

Post by NickWalker »

Yes I think it's always been that way - the surname is suggested when the dialogue window loads up when a father is selected because the child's surname is likely to be the same as the father. However, when a woman is selected it doesn't know when the dialog loads what the last name is likely to be. I do agree though that it should probably make this suggestion once you've selected the pairing but it doesn't work that way currently and it's just not something anyone has pointed out before as far as I know.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: automatic surname when adding a child in census window

Post by NickWalker »

This should work as expected in the next version.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/