* How to add an unrelated individual to a 1921 census entry

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gardengirl
Famous
Family Historian: V7

How to add an unrelated individual to a 1921 census entry

Post by Gardengirl »

I was fortunate enough so spend a day at the National Archives last week so my mission was to download as many relevant census pages as possible in the time available. So I now have a ton of census images to input into fH

Because of the time of year the census was taken I am finding lots of families away from their normal home 'on holiday' or in their own homes with friends listed as visitors. I want to record all the names of the people on each census page because they might be useful later but it seems that I have to add each one as a named individual in my database. I thought in a previous version of AS I was able to add them to the census entry and select an option not to create a new individual. Is this no longer possible or am I imagining that?
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: How to add an unrelated individual to a 1921 census entry

Post by NickWalker »

Once you've added all the named individuals (ignoring these 'extra' people for now) and have finished entering the data and let the Autotext create the source text, used the 'fit' feature (if you use rich text), etc. etc. then just edit the source text and type in the details of these individuals. If you click the 'Text' link (above the Auto button), you get an editor window so you can enter the details more easily.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gardengirl
Famous

Post by Gardengirl »

Thank you, Nick, that is what I have been doing as a work-around but for some of the sheets there are quite a few ‘extra’ people to add. Was it previously possible to just add them straight into the grid without having to edit the auto text afterwards? Or am I imagining that?

And if it is not possible now, could it be added as a feature in the future?
Garden girl by day
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Is it possible you might be thinking of the Birth/Baptism/Marriage/Death entries, where on the "Further Info" tab you can select people (ministers/priests/godparents, etc.) that are "Just a name - not in file", rather than the "Individual in file" option? I don't remember the same option ever being available for a census, but I'm sure Nick will correct me if I'm wrong.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

No this has never been possible. Your feature request is on my long to-do list already. It wasn't too bad having to do this when using 'plain text' source text, but with rich-text it becomes a bit more of a chore to add them to to the source text and you lose the ability to use the 'auto fit' function too.

As another workaround, you could use the Add Unrelated Individual toolbar button so you can enter all the details in the grid and then if you really don't want them in your file, just delete them in FH once the file has been saved.
Nick Walker

Gardengirl
Famous

Post by Gardengirl »

Adrian, thank you. That has refreshed my memory and I think that is where I have seen that function.

Nick, thanks again, I can imagine that you have an endless ToDo list and I’m about to add to my ToDo list to go and see what the Auto Fit function is and how it works. Not sure if I have played with that option yet.

Thanks both 👍
Garden girl by day
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

If you're using a rich-text auto-text template then you'll see a button marked Fit, beneath the Auto button. This will reduce the width of the grid to match the contents.
Nick Walker