* Source Title Customization

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Chrisv
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Source Title Customization

Post by Chrisv »

I have only been using AS for about three days, so I am still in the learning stage, but not nearly as much as I would have been when I first started using FH. Thanks Mike for the training videos. Sure helped!
As seen in the lower rows of the screenshot below, I have figured out how to get FH to populate data in the Type, Doc Type, Principal, Principal2 and Event Date columns, but I cannot figure out how to do the same with data imported from AS, as shown in the top 4 rows. Is there a way to get these columns to populate in a similar manner?
I am set up in AS using method 1, with the Templated Source Title Generation set to Generate by AS: can update in FH.
Thank You!
Capture88.PNG
Capture88.PNG (346.32 KiB) Viewed 811 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Source Title Customization

Post by tatewise »

I assume you are using the Essentials Census Return template for your Census source citations.
That template does not have Fields with names such as Type, Principal, Date, etc, ...
Its Field names are Year, Address, Head of Household, etc, ...

So I suspect all the Field data has been captured but your Source tab Columns do not include those Field names.
If you open any of those census Source records are the Fields populated with data?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Chrisv
Famous

Post by Chrisv »

Data Field Populated.PNG
Data Field Populated.PNG (131.7 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Thanks for helping me out!
The fields are populated with data when opened (see attached above) and both the Census record used in AS and the Vital Record shown in the Records window are custom templates
Your observation that the field names in my FH Records window not matching the field names in AS is what the problem is. I assume I can't change the names of the headings in the AS Source Template Editor due to AS using these for their system, so I would have to change the codes in my Vital Records template to match AS in order for both to populate the same column in the Source Records window?? I would really rather change something in the AS template, if possible, since I only have a few Census entries compared to many more Vital Record entries.
Below are pics of the AS Census template and the FH Census and Vital Records templates.
Attachments
AS Census Template.PNG
AS Census Template.PNG (102.54 KiB) Viewed 741 times
FH Census and Vital R. Templates.PNG
FH Census and Vital R. Templates.PNG (90.09 KiB) Viewed 741 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you misunderstand how FH and AS templates are related.
There is only one master Source Template definition and that is held in FH.
AS imports that definition from FH and lets you assign AS codes {PLACE}, {ADDR}, {KEYPERSON}, etc, to the Fields so they get auto-completed.

The nature of Fields needed for Census records is very different to the Fields needed for BMD records, and different again from other types of templates. So, it is highly unlikely to be able to define a common set of Fields and Records Window columns suitable for all templates.

You might be able to define one Records Window column that displays the Principal Field and the Head of Household Field, and another column that displays Event Date and Census Year, and so on for other 'similar' Fields.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Chrisv
Famous

Post by Chrisv »

Okay, thanks - I get it now!
Chrisv
Famous

Post by Chrisv »