* 1921 UK Census AS Source Template

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
klm2OUMK
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

1921 UK Census AS Source Template

Post by klm2OUMK »

The imminent launch of the 1921 UK Census in January 2022 will make the possibility of a new specific AS Source Template a very useful addition to FH7 citation resources . Does anybody know whether there are any future plans for a 1921 Census AS Source Template, thank you.

The new census will include a lot of new very useful data such as personal occupation , type of employment, name and place of work, anybody divorced and any type of education and names of schools.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: 1921 UK Census AS Source Template

Post by jbtapscott »

I've not seen anything about anybody generating a 1921 template yet although I'm sure somebody will - that said, it is pretty easy to generate one yourself.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Nick Walker (AS author) has said today on the mailing list, that he will be releasing an update that will include the 1921 template
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thank you Neil for letting me know. I will look out for AS 1921 Template update
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I can't promise when I'll release it, but I did say I'll probably base it on one that an AS user creates to save me having to do it! There is one you can download further down this thread created by 'RS3100'. Let me know if it seems OK. I'd also presumably need to release Scotland/Wales/Isle of Man versions too so if anyone has templates for those (or at least some information about their contents) then that would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Nick, you could look at the Census Dea to see differences for Wales, iom and Channel Islands. Scotland (even an example) isn't available yet.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

But in brief Iom and Wales have a language question at the end of the schedule and Channel Islands have no change.
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Hi Nick
Happy New Year. Thank you for for your update on 1921 UK Census Template.

Yes I will be happy to try RS3100 version starting tomorrow and give my feedback in a few days use

Can you please let me know how I can assess the trial version with permission from RS3100?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 04 Jan 2022 19:06 But in brief Iom and Wales have a language question at the end of the schedule and Channel Islands have no change.
Thanks Helen :)
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

klm2OUMK wrote: 05 Jan 2022 08:42 Hi Nick

Yes I will be happy to try RS3100 version starting tomorrow and give my feedback in a few days use

Can you please let me know how I can assess the trial version with permission from RS3100?
If you click on the link in my post above, it will take you to the forum thread where RS3100 has posted their template - you can download it from there and then import it into AS via the Census Template Editor (under the Tools menu in AS). There is an import button on the screen - click that and then select the downloaded XML file.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

I would also appreciate any feed back, as well as Nick. Probably best attached to this thread, then we and anyone else who has tried the template can see it.

The last column of the 1921 form asks for the total number of children and step-children of married men, widowers and widows, whether enumerated elsewhere on the form or not. There are then a series of following sub-columns corresponding to ages 1 to 15, in which the person completing the form was asked to place an "X" in each column corresponding to the age(s) of the children entered. Rather than creating all sixteen fields in the template, I decided to create one for the total number of children, and a second in which their ages can be entered numerically in any way that the user wishes, e.g. each separated by a comma, colon, slash etc. I thought that having all sixteen columns would be too unwieldy, plus a resulting series of comma-separated values mostly blank but containing the occasional letter X in one or more of those values would be rather less human readable than the actual ages expressed numerically. Particularly as I often refer to the text from source rather than the original image if I want to check or refresh my mind about information for an individual in a particular census.

I hope that makes sense.
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thank you RS3100 for your xml. download which I have just successful downloaded into AS Census Template as per Nick's instructions. I will give any feedback on this thread once I have tried to enter a few of the 1921 Census records in the next few days as you suggest.

Thank you for explaining how you are handling the last column of the 1921 Form. Yes I agree it would be overcomplicated and unwieldly to do each of the 16 age columns separately . I will let you know how I get on with your simpler version. For the first time the census will include any 'divorced' members of family as well.
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Message for Nick Walker re the above:
Hi Nick, will the UK 1921 census template also update the census flag as per the others?
Thanks
Kind regards
Margaret
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Margaret

Yes, you would just need to assign a flag to it using the Tools->Flag Assignment screen.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

RS3100 wrote: 05 Jan 2022 09:43 I would also appreciate any feed back, as well as Nick. Probably best attached to this thread, then we and anyone else who has tried the template can see it.
Yes thanks for making that clear - feedback via the forum thread would be the best way. And also thanks for your work on this template. I will of course credit you if I use the template in the next version! :)

All the best

Nick
Nick Walker

MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Thanks for the clarification Nick, as always, much appreciated. Happy New Year.

Kind regards
Margaret
babayaga321
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by babayaga321 »

RS3100 wrote: 05 Jan 2022 09:43

It's attached to my post on this thread:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 34&t=20123
Hi all.

Probably being an absolute numpty here but I was trying to download the AS template mentioned above, to try and start using it with the 1921 census records we now have available, but the download link seems to have been removed as the template 'has been superceded'?

Is there another link yet for this as I wanted to start entering my data as soon as I can... (just keen, rather than impatient!)

TIA of any help you can give me on this.

Cheers - Graham.
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Having had the opportunity to use my template against a few "real life" completed 1921 census forms this morning, I have made a few tweaks to it, and have attached the new version below to keep everything hopefully in this thread going forward.

I have removed the column titled "Industry". It does not appear on the census form, but I had thought from looking at a blank form and reading the completion instructions that it would be necessary to separate the person's occupation from the type of work done, so that the individual's occupation fact would populate correctly in FH. In practice so far, I have found that is not really required and that having two fields where only one exists on the form leads to some confusion. An example entry in the Personal Occupation column that I entered into FH this morning was "Fireman Chemical Works". By entering it into AS as "fireman in a chemical works" it reads correctly in reports and is more informative than the occupation "fireman" would have been if separated into two fields. The autotext can of course be edited before saving, so that the source text accurately reflects what was written on the form, whilst retaining a more readable version in the occupation fact.

I have also widened the employment and place of work columns as I found them too narrow in practice when entering information other than the drop-down presets. Similarly, I have widened the column for the number of children under 16 years of age slightly, so that the heading fits on a single line, which reduces the depth of the header row across the entire entry box leaving more real estate in AS to see the information that has been entered where there are several individuals in the entry.

I make no claim that the template is perfect. It does the job well enough as far as I can see, but if anyone has any comments for improvement or other observations please let me and Nick know via a reply on this thread :)

Census-England-1921.xml
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

NickWalker wrote: 05 Jan 2022 17:58 Yes thanks for making that clear - feedback via the forum thread would be the best way. And also thanks for your work on this template. I will of course credit you if I use the template in the next version! :)

All the best

Nick
No need for that Nick. I created the template for my own use. It was only when someone asked if anyone had created one that I stuck my head above the parapet!
Anthony
Silver

Post by Anthony »

Many thanks for the template. Downloaded and added to AS with no problem. Tested it by entering one family from the 1921 census found this morning on FMP. I have always used AS to enter multiple people on a single census. It is so easy to use. Thanks Nick. :D
annettelindahutton
Silver

Post by annettelindahutton »

Hi,
I have just added my first 1921 census household using the template provided by RS3100. Thank you so much.
I have downloaded 6 households for my husband and myself so far and am getting stuck in adding them to Family Historian.
All went well until I generated the text and I spotted that the number of children under 16 and their ages hadn't carried across. Minor problem as I edited the text before doing the save, but thought I should mention it.
Thanks, Linda
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Linda, do you mean that when you use the "Auto" text button in AS that the information that you have entered in the grid re the children isn't appearing in the generated source text?

If so, I can't reproduce that. The number of children and their ages populate as per the information I have entered in all the test entries that I have run in the sample project, and several that I have entered for real so far, in two of my projects.

The information all transfers across to the Text from Source in the source record saved by AS too.

If I'm not understanding what you mean, could you explain further or perhaps walk me through the steps you had taken?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Phil
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Thank you RS3100 for producing and releasing this template for the England 1921 Census
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Thank you for the 1921 Census template which works for me in the main and has proved to be very useful.

Just one observation, when entering "both alive" for the children in the census, this doesn't seem to populate into the notes for the relevant individual in Family Historian. Nor does the "whole time/part time" from column (h) in the census form. Are these possible or are they items which are difficult to code in the template?

Kind regards
Margaret
carswell
Gold

Post by carswell »

Thank you for the 1921 template. I have used it a couple of times today and it works very well