* Calculated Dates

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Calculated Dates

Post by Johnr65 »

When I enter a census, marriage, etc, AS calculates the year of birth, marriage, etc. This is great but can it be just left as the year rather than as now year (Cal)?
:?:
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Calculated Dates

Post by AdrianBruce »

No (normal) calculation can ever give an exact year of birth etc - You might be X years old at one census but whether you were born in census-year minus X or in the previous year to that, depends on whether you've already had your birthday in the census year or not. That's why I suspect that any rough calculation will (and should) always qualify the result with something such as CAL or ABT or ...
Adrian
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I'm aware of that but I'd like AS to just put the year not add (Cal) to it. I can research further from that year.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The dialogue that offers to create birth facts for baptisms, marriages, etc. does allow you to change the Estimated to be blank, but unfortunately that isn't possible with census records.

I would say that adding calculated really is the correct thing to do here as the birth date is being calculated based on a date and an age. Although I do include lots of options, I can't create options for every single possible thing that users might want to do. The fact that this is the first time that I remember this being requested in the last 15 years suggests it isn't a feature that users are demanding.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/