* Enter Reference ID warning...

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Enter Reference ID warning...

Post by fhtess65 »

I'm fairly new to using AS and a tad confused. I just finished entering a 1911 census entry for my great-grandfather - the Reference ID was auto filled, yet when I go save the entry, I get a warning about not having a Reference ID, yet as far as I can see, it's been auto filled. What am I missing? Screenshot below.

Thanks!
EnterRefernceIDWarning.jpg
EnterRefernceIDWarning.jpg (439.31 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Enter Reference ID warning...

Post by tatewise »

Teresa, I have moved this to the Ancestral Sources forum that is more appropriate.

AS fills in that Ref Id of RG14 and expects you to add what you have entered in Other Info as Census Reference.
You can ignore the warning if you really need it to be in Other Info.
Have you set all the appropriate Tools > Options > Census settings for where you would like Ref Id and Other Info to be saved in your FH Source Citations?

It may be wise to experiment with AS Census entries in the FH Sample Project or a Copy of your Project.
Have you seen the online tutorial for AS Census capture? It is a little dated but the concepts still mostly apply.
FHUG KB Ancestral Sources Tutorial ~ Enter Census Facts.

I can't help commenting on the repetitions in the Long Title.
The RG14, Piece 2195, and Schedule 197are each effectively entered twice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, Mike - I could have sworn I was on the AS board.

Ah - now I see - ok, that make sense.
'
As always, I appreciate your help :)

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I strongly recommend you should use the Ref ID box for your reference/citation rather than the 'Other Info', there's no reason I can think of to use the Other Info instead.

If you would prefer AS to not automatically fill in the start of the Reference ID then go to the Options (under the Tools menu) and navigate to the the census settings and untick the Automatically start census reference option. You can also choose to not be warned that the reference ID is missing by unticking Warn if reference ID is blank if you wish.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

NickWalker wrote: 29 Apr 2021 19:41 I strongly recommend you should use the Ref ID box for your reference/citation rather than the 'Other Info', there's no reason I can think of to use the Other Info instead.

If you would prefer AS to not automatically fill in the start of the Reference ID then go to the Options (under the Tools menu) and navigate to the the census settings and untick the Automatically start census reference option. You can also choose to not be warned that the reference ID is missing by unticking Warn if reference ID is blank if you wish.
Thanks, Nick - I appreciate the tips. Just starting out with AS so know I have a lot to learn :) It's a very cool utility and with so much of my work done on British records, it's a huge boon.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford