* Newbie - AS/FH census problem

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
luluinberlin1961
Family Historian: V6

Newbie - AS/FH census problem

Post by luluinberlin1961 »

Hello everyone, please forgive the vague subject title.

I've just upgraded to FH7 and thought it about time I started using Ancestral Sources for my census info. I've just done my first family and I'm not happy with what I see.

In the property box under the facts tab, all my census entries are listed, but in this format:
Date / Fact / Age
3 Apr 1881 / Census 1939 in Weston-sub-Edge, Glos / 40

Then on another line
Date / Fact / Age
3 Apr 1881 / Occup. Labourer’s wife / (40-41)

Firstly why are there two entries for each census year? And secondly - more confusingly - why are they all described as Census 1939?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Louise
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Newbie - AS/FH census problem

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your 1st FHUG posting Louise. This is just a first quick response.

There are two entries because one is recording the Census event with associated address, etc, and the other is recording the Occupation stated on the census. That is the default preferred by many users but there are other options we can explore.
If there is no Occupation stated in the census then there will only be the Census event recorded.

The name of the Census event is I think what you have defined it as in Tools > Fact Types... and I suspect every Census event in your Project has that name.
I suspect it may have been an attempt to give the UK 1939 Register a different name from all other Census years.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
luluinberlin1961
Family Historian: V6

Re: Newbie - AS/FH census problem

Post by luluinberlin1961 »

Thank you for the quick response.

It certainly wasn't me who defined the name of the census event as I'd never even noticed the Fact Types menu before! But I have now read all about Fact Types and have been able to alter the 'offending' entry.

Thank you once again, with the help of this group I am beginning to get much more out of FH.