* Ancestral Sources - Remove Flag Support?

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Ancestral Sources - Remove Flag Support?

Post by NickWalker » 18 Sep 2020 19:28

I'd like to remove the support for creating flags in the next version of Ancestral Sources (and also the Census Date Check and Flag Check processes). The main reason for having flags in the first version of Ancestral Sources was to allow for the icons to be added to tree diagrams. But since FH v4 there have been other ways to add icons to trees without using Flags. As the Using Flags and Icons Knowledge Base article says "The Census Flag & Date Tools tutorial explains how Ancestral Sources supports Flags in conjunction with Census entries, although since ƒh V4, as explained below, this feature is somewhat redundant". So that suggests the feature has been unnecessary for 10 years!

So if anyone would be upset to see the flag support disappear from AS, please can you offer a persuasive argument for me to keep the feature?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com

Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Ancestral Sources - Remove Flag Support?

Post by Valkrider » 18 Sep 2020 20:21

Nick

Even though V4 was my first experience of FH and AS I have never used AS flags so will not miss them.

johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom » 19 Sep 2020 06:03

I am the same Nick.
I switched over to using expressions a long time ago. and I have only used the Census date checker once or twice.

Keep up the good work.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 19 Sep 2020 06:04

No objections from me, Nick.

David2416
Famous

Post by David2416 » 19 Sep 2020 07:56

I do use flags, but to be honest the only consistency is that derived by using AS. I would miss that but it is not a deal breaker 😊

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 19 Sep 2020 10:38

I have no objection.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 19 Sep 2020 15:07

I don't use any of these so would be fine with their removal.

Bill

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 19 Sep 2020 16:14

No problem. I used them at one time, but not any more.
Lorna

sgauntlett
Platinum

Post by sgauntlett » 21 Sep 2020 19:10

I do use the flags and icons in diagrams and find it useful for Ancestral Sources to set this for all individuals mentioned in the Census returns. I guess there are other ways to add but I would miss the feature.
Can it be made optional?

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 21 Sep 2020 19:26

sgauntlett, I think Nick wants to remove the code to make the application simpler to maintain, so making it optional wouldn't be possible if he did that.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 21 Sep 2020 20:53

sgauntlett, have you reviewed Using Flags and Icons Knowledge Base article that explains how you can dispense with record Flags for Census years altogether and use nine simple Expressions instead.
The big advantage is that once those Expressions are set up, you never have to maintain those Flags ever again.
Those record Flags can all be deleted, because the Expressions automatically add the Icons as soon as the Census Events exist.

I can explain the process if the Knowledge Base advice does not give enough clues.

victor
Famous

Post by victor » 22 Sep 2020 09:09

Never used the flags so have no idea how useful they are. In anycase I have better use of my time than bother with flags

Victor

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 22 Sep 2020 18:46

ColeValleyGirl wrote:
21 Sep 2020 19:26
sgauntlett, I think Nick wants to remove the code to make the application simpler to maintain, so making it optional wouldn't be possible if he did that.
In the next version there can be categories within 'Census' so, for example, you could have UK Voting List or 1939 Register, and this complicates the Flag situation. It wouldn't be impossible to solve obviously but it may take time and I felt that removing the flag support would save me having to solve it! I will certainly remove the 'Flag Check' and 'Census Date Check' tools I think whatever happens.
Nick Walker

sgauntlett
Platinum

Post by sgauntlett » 23 Sep 2020 14:06

I have created "expressions" for the census date events so removed the need for those flags. It would be nice if they could be grouped in the Boxes Condition as the flags are though to make it tidier.

However, what about BMD certificates? I also use flags and icons for those. Can an expression be used? Sometimes, I might know the dates and places but not actually have a copy of the certificate so need to differentiate.

The last flag/icon I use is Twin. Any thoughts on that one if i don't know the date of birth yet but know they were twins?

Thanks,
Simon

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 23 Sep 2020 14:20

The Boxes tab has up/down black arrows to let you order the Conditions any way so they are in logical groups.

The Knowledge Base > Using Flags and Icons and Expressions has Worked Examples of how to check Source Citations for such as BMD Certificates.
e.g.
=ContainsText( %INDI.BIRT.SOUR>TITL%, "Birth Certificate", STD ) checks Source record Title contents
=ContainsText( %INDI.DEAT.SOUR>_TYPE%, "Death Certificate", STD ) checks Source record Type contents
They assume that something as important as a BMD Certificate will always be the 1st Citation.

For something that is not an actual Fact, such as Twins, then a Flag may be the best solution.

BUT we are getting away from the AS Census Flag checks, so this really needs another thread...

sgauntlett
Platinum

Post by sgauntlett » 23 Sep 2020 14:31

Thanks Tatewise.

The expression example you gave should work for my BMD needs. So I guess, I'm now happy with the Ancestral Sources removal of flag support :lol:

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 23 Sep 2020 18:20

BUT we are getting away from the AS Census Flag checks, so this really needs another thread...
Well actually I was hoping to remove all flag support, including all the sources and not just census. But it sounds like your expressions have satsified Simon :D . I suppose ideally we'll need a page we can point AS users at which explains what to do if they've used flags so far and now need to use expressions.
Nick Walker

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 23 Sep 2020 18:59

Sorry, the word 'Census' crept in by mistake and should have included all source types.

The advice page to point to will be the new KB equivalent to the Knowledge Base > Using Flags and Icons and Expressions but revised with some advice on replacing AS Flags with Expressions and providing a set of examples for each AS source type.