* Death & Burial entries

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
mezentia
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Death & Burial entries

Post by mezentia »

I have been researching a branch of the family that emmigrated to the US. I'm finding that on the death certificates it also gives the date and place of burial, and the name of the funeral director. Would it be possible to update the Death entry to include burial details as well, rather than having to complete two seperate entries for death and burial, obviating the need to duplicate a lot of information already entered and especially when the information is derived from a single source?
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Death & Burial entries

Post by Valkrider »

One way to do this is to create a source for the certificate and then turn on Automatic Source Citations with that new source as the input record and then add it to the Burial and Death facts.

Otherwise you can select more than one fact in the facts dropdown list with click and ctrl / shift click on second or subsequent facts.

Or use Ancestral Sources IIRC if you select burial it will also ask for the date of death if you have it.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

mezentia wrote: 27 May 2020 13:14 ... on the [US] death certificates it also gives the date and place of burial, and the name of the funeral director....
Presumably it gives the planned date and place of burial - which in all likelihood is where they are eventually buried. Certainly in the UK the death certificate is the document that unlocks other processes including burial or cremation.

Alternatively it is not actually a death certificate in that sense but some sort of confirmation of burial, or a two part register of deaths where burial details are later entered. And then you can get certified copies of the register entry?

It would be interesting to see an example?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

David, the exact format varied from one US state or city to another, and from one time period to another. Here are two examples, one from 1899 Philadelphia and the other from 1944 Ohio state. Personally I just enter the burial date and place manually in FH and cite the same source as the death event. In 'Where within source' I put 'date and place of burial'. It's very quick and doesn't involve duplicating any information already entered. The only duplication is the extra citation of the source.
Philadelphia death & burial.JPG
Philadelphia death & burial.JPG (77.44 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Ohio death & burial.JPG
Ohio death & burial.JPG (204.13 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Lorna
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Thanks Lorna

Is the process detailed anywhere (a quick search tends to detail the current electronic process) - this would seem to indicate that death certification (by the state) happened post burial and that burials could happen based on what authority? Presumably just the examining physician?

Did responsibility for registering the death with the state (to ensure cessation of voting rights and welfare/pension payments etc.) rest with the next of kin or the funeral director?

I trained as an auditor (a long time ago) so my "process integrity" nose is twitching!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The AS Burial/Cremation mode probably has all you need.
It certainly includes Date, Place, Address & Cause of Death (as well as DoB or Age).
You may need to create an Auto-Text Template to cover all the details.
You can edit the Source Title to say Death & Burial, etc, as required.

When saved, AS gives options to add/update Birth and Death events depending what data was entered, and then adds Citations of the Source to the Birth, Death, Burial/Cremation events as necessary.

Have a practice with the Family Historian Sample Project to check what AS offers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

The second of Lorna's examples is quite similar to the ones I'm finding, they're mainly from Pennsylvania. At the moment I add the death with AS, and then add the burial in FH using the death certificate as the source.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that will work. but try using AS in Burial mode and you can do it all in AS as I suggested.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry