* Losing media

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
mpcrumbly
Family Historian: V5

Losing media

Post by mpcrumbly » 20 Nov 2019 17:39

I have recently migrated from a Windows 7 laptop to a new Windows 10 laptop. I followed the instructions for migrating and mostly Ancestral Sources is working fine. However, I cannot find the images I have attached to the entries when I return to Family Historian. I don't know where they are being saved as I select the default 'media' option each time but then can't track them down. Does anyone know where to look?

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Losing media

Post by tatewise » 20 Nov 2019 17:50

Welcome to the FHUG.

When you say you followed the instructions for migrating I presume you mean both:
Knowledge Base > Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide and Knowledge Base > Ancestral Sources Migration Guide

Are you using the Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin to invoke AS ?
If not, have you checked AS is using the correct Project ?

Do any new Facts or Source records get created in FH ?
Do the Media records get created in FH ?
If not, then you are accessing the wrong Project within AS.

If the Media records get created do they show an X indicating a broken link ?

In AS use Tools > View Log Files and check the File: at the top refers to correct Project.

You could use Windows File Explorer and use the Search for the saved filenames.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 20 Nov 2019 19:23

mpcrumbly wrote:
20 Nov 2019 17:39
Does anyone know where to look?
If AS has been using the right project (but see Mike's reply), you should be able to see them on the Media tab of the Records window. Click on the Last Updated column heading to bring the newest media records to the top. This will show if the media records have been created.

If you are using the Method 1 'splitter' approach for sources (i.e. a separate source record for each census household) each image will be attached to one new Source record and can be seen on the Media tab of the Property Box for the Source.

If you are using Method 2 'lumper' sources the media will be linked to the citations and can be seen by selecting the census fact in an individual's property box Facts tab, then clicking the Show Media icon in the toolbar of the yellow Sources pane and selecting Citation Media.
Lorna

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 20 Nov 2019 22:32

Since the OP is using FH V5 and has migrated from Win 7 to Win 10, then I assume has been using FH and AS for some time, and knows how they are supposed to work, but the migration process has upset something.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry