* Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
PyreneesPirate
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your previous help.

A small question....I would like to use the above template but when I go to download it and save the xml file in the \Ancestral Sources\Settings\ folder, a message pops up saying I do not have the relevant authority to save it in this folder! Am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the Ancestral Sources Forum.

Double-check that the ...\Ancestral Sources\Settings\ folder you are downloading to has the same file path as that shown in AS in the Tools > Options > General settings for the Settings Folder: path.

In Windows File Explorer right-click on that Settings folder, choose Properties, and open the Security tab.
What access Permissions are shown for your Windows user account?
All should be ticked except perhaps Special permissions, and thus allowing Full control, Modify, Read, Write, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks Mike,

I was trying to download in the wrong area. I have downloaded and I think that I have imported the templates because when I go into AS Census Options and look at the Country Option, I see the UK Electoral Register as an option and if then look at the Year and select, it populates the Census Columns window. After that I am a bit wary....I tried the instructions from Knowledge Base but didn't achieve the end product unfortunately.

I backed up AS before I started the above!

The instructions after that are ok (for an expert), is there an idiots guide to setting up the these Electoral Registers without trashing the Census info? Sorry to be a pain, but I would really like to use this Electoral Register option.

By the way your plug in on the TNG site worked a treat and I now have a dozen or more family members accessing my site which is fantastic!!

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that sounds like the template has installed correctly, and will look similar to the screenshot in fhugdownloads:contents:ancestral_sources_template_electoral_register_uk|> Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK.

You're referring to the fhugdownloads:contents:ancestral_sources_template_electoral_register_uk#tools_options_settings|> Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK > Tools Options Settings.

You have performed the Backup Census Options step.

What exactly are the problems with each of the following steps?
Mostly they are simply replacing the word Census with Electoral Register.

I assume you have used AS extensively to capture Census records, and understand how the Tools > Options settings relate to what gets produced. Without that experience, then it is perhaps more challenging to understand the customisation steps needed for Electoral Registers.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I suspect the difficulty might be in not understanding, from the KB article, where the necessary edits should be performed, i.e. you have to click on the right arrow in the top row "Choose Section" on the screen shown to get to the edit screen(s) and this step has omitted from the instructions.

Mervyn
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks Mike and Mervyn for your time on this.

I plucked up the courage and have got it working I think.

When I select Census and look at Census Country, the Electoral Register is now an option and if I select it I now have the four options in the Census Year....so I presume with your help I have cracked it.

To use the normal Census Option again, I assume I just restore my original backup of that?

I have been using FH since Version 3 and am mightily impressed with it and ALSO the fantastic help on this site!!

Cheers,

PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've updated fhugdownloads:contents:ancestral_sources_template_electoral_register_uk|> Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK and added Data Capture Process steps that confirm what you asked.

Do the Source records created have Electoral Register in their Title and Type fields, and also in the Media Title fields?
Is a Residence fact created instead of a Census event?
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

I'm not sure yet unfortunately...… I have an Electoral Roll / Poll Book for 1853, so I tried putting that in the 1832 option (as it does not give an 1853 option). Doesn't work because when you change the Census Date to 1853 it won't let you store the entry! Is there any way around this?

As you know, I was trying to use the Multifact Plug in the other day.....tried that again, but still problems with screen handling and also wouldn't bring up the Fact list.

I am really looking for a more streamlined way of entering Electoral Rolls, Military info, but every way I turn at the moment seems to come to a dead end? is there anything out there that works with FH 6.2?

Cheers

PP
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Yes it works Mike.....didn't put in the full date....silly me.

Cheers

PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As it says in fhugdownloads:contents:ancestral_sources_template_electoral_register_uk|> Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK:
There are four distinct templates applicable to the periods 1832-1917, 1918-1927, 1928-1944, and post 1945. So after choosing a template the Census Date will probably need adjusting to the actual date of the record.
So your 1853 record must use the 1832-1917 template and enter its actual date.

Please post other problems in appropriate Forum, i.e. Multifact in Plugin Discussions using existing New Multifact plugin (16685) thread, and Military info in General Usage with details of your problems.