* Marriage editor when FH is updated

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
grendix
Family Historian: V6.2

Marriage editor when FH is updated

Post by grendix »

When using the marriage editor I sometimes, belatedly, find that I have not entered the spouse's father. I go into FH, add the father, save and re-enter AS. I am (correctly) told that The project has been updated. The father's name appears when I enter his ID, but AS does not update the parents page nor does it allow me to add the father. Is this an error?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Marriage editor when FH is updated

Post by tatewise »

AS is only designed to capture new BMD Source documents and create the associated facts with citations.

It is not capable of making ad hoc updates & corrections to the FH Project.
That must be performed entirely in FH.

Bear in mind that AS is not mandatory, and everything AS does could be done entirely in FH.
You should become familiar with the fundamental FH structures and processes.
Then you are more aware of how AS just saves you some time with the initial capture.

In your particular case of adding the spouse's father, you have manually added his Individual record.
You should Copy and Paste the Citation from the Marriage Event to the father's Name field.
In the cited Source record, update the Text From Source transcript to include the father.

Tip: In AS after using Auto Text to create the transcript, read it through and edit where necessary to ensure it matches the document image. Then you would spot that the spouse's father is missing and can add him then before closing AS.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry