* Sources not showing

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Sources not showing

Post by gwilym'smum »

This morning I have been trying to add census images to census facts which already appear in the FH property box. Most were fine but some I discovered that I did not have the images, I therefore downloaded them. The census facts appeared in the individuals facts in the property box but when I clicked on "choose a source" in Ancestral Sources the censuses were not there. When I do not use AS to find the source, ie directly on the computer, they are there. I have closed AS and re opened but they still did not appear. What am I doing wrong please?
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Sources not showing

Post by tatewise »

You are doing nothing wrong, but AS is not really designed to make those types of correction.
AS is designed to capture the new Census details and image in one process and has no database of its own.
(There is an option to add Images to existing Sources, but if you are unfamiliar with that it may be tricky to use.)

All subsequent adjustments are best performed directly within FH.
So you will need to create a Media record with title and details consistent with your AS templates.
Then use the appropriate Show Media button to add that Media record to each Fact, or Citation, or Source.
Do you know which of those three alternatives to use?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike... As has an option to add images to existing sources!
Screenshot 2019-03-25 10.42.03.png
Screenshot 2019-03-25 10.42.03.png (103.04 KiB) Viewed 7538 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ann, do you sources have types associated with them?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

True, but if unfamiliar with that feature, as Ann appears to be, then it is probably easier just using FH.
It is also not clear whether Ann adds images to the Source record (Method 1) or the Citations or Facts (Method 2).
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi I've been adding images to existing sources for ages and it was worked fine. In many cases I have added the census information to the family but just have not added the images. If I try to add the census from scratch in AS it says a fact for that person already exists, so all I need to do is add an image. This works fine when I have had the images on my computer for a while, it is when I upload a new image while I am working to and fro between FH and AS and either FMP or Ancestry.
FH census.png
FH census.png (239.3 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
On the picture (if it has appeared) Charles Foster has the census fact but no image when I go into "choose source" in AS his census fact isn't there. Sorry if I am being confusing. I can add them manually but I like the feature of adding images to existing sources it is so useful.
Ann
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So you are talking about his 1891 Census fact.
Unfortunately, your screenshot does not show whether that fact has a Source Citation.
Without a Source Citation then AS cannot add a Media image.

When you upload the image should not matter, as long as AS can find it in the Add/View Images dialogue.

A screenshot of the AS main Add Images to Existing Sources window would help.

What method of Media are you adding: to Source record, to Citation, or to Fact?
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hope this will work!
FH Garner.png
FH Garner.png (209.44 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
That was my Property box with source but I tried to show the AS window with choose source pane and an AS shot when tried to add from scratch but the files were too big. Sorry tried lots of ways to show the AS screens but all too big.
It is probably that I have done something wrong. Thank you for your patience. I can just add it from scratch and tell it to overide the census that is there.
Ann
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Ann,
You said "I've been adding images to existing sources for ages" and it worked, so you need to find what is different about the sources you are trying to add to now.

Firstly, do you have more than one project? If so, are you sure you are opening the right project in AS?

Secondly (Helen asked this in an earlier post) do the sources have Types associated with them? If they were originally created using AS they will have been given the Census type unless you changed the default setting for this. When trying to add an image to an existing source in AS you are presumably selecting Census in the Type box at the top. But if the sources you are now looking at don't have a Type AS won't list them.
Lorna
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

MANY many apologies I have just realized what I have done. It was years ago when I entered the census data for this family, probably in the time of Gedcom Census. I have my code x which put census sources at the end so I don't have to scroll through loads, then 9 for 1891 then … I always used to put the surname of the head of the household, and in 1891 Charles Garner was living with his mother in law, Emma Shufflebottom, who was head of the household, so it was listed under her name. I have since changed, to avoid such a situation as this, (not being able to find the person I want) and use the surname of the person of interest, that is why I was looking for Garner. That is why it said I had a census entry for these people, I did, not where I thought they were! :geek:
I am so sorry to have wasted the time of the helpful folk on this forum.
Ann
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No problem.
Just talking it through often reveals the difficulty, and this example proves the point.