* FH constantly crashing after every entry in AS

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
KarenMG
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

FH constantly crashing after every entry in AS

Post by KarenMG »

I have to quit and restart FH after every entry in AS.
I get the prompt on the screen asking me to reload, but am unable to do anything.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: FH constantly crashing after every entry in AS

Post by Jane »

Are you using a plugin to Launch AS if so have you checked you have the latest version (4.7) of the plugin?

If you launch Ancestral Sources separately do you still get the problem?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please also confirm which versions of FH and AS you are running.

What Windows version are you using? (Vista, 7, 8, 10?)

Presumably it used to work OK, so what significant changes have happened since it last worked OK?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

@ KarenMG,

Looking at your previous posts, it seems likely that you are using Family Historian (FH) and Ancestral Sources (AS) on a Mac, via Crossover/WINE.

If that is correct and you have created separate FH and AS apps in Crossover then using AS on a datafile that is already open in FH will inevitably cause the FH application to crash. Unfortunately, it's a limitation of the way WINE works, i.e. each separate WINE app is the equivalent of an individual computer, so you would be attempting to alter a datafile with one computer (the AS app) that is already open and therefore under the exclusive control another computer (the FH app).

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mervyn, you are correct. I had overlooked that Karen has switched to Crossover (or related emulator).

In how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine at the bottom under Reported Problems it says:
If FH &/or AS &/or another program are running at the same time, and one program changes the shared GEDCOM file, then the other program(s) correctly report the file has changed, but then may freeze and Force Quit must be used.
So having opened AS by whatever means, you must close FH until AS has been closed.

Unfortunately, you have to tolerate all those Reported Problems in order use FH & AS with Crossover on a Mac.
You don't get those problems with a virtual machine such as Parallels Desktop or Oracle VirtualBox.
Oracle VirtualBox is free, and with the Windows licence I know you have, would avoid those problems.
KarenMG
Platinum

Post by KarenMG »

Thank you for the clarification. I am using Crossover, that's correct. Something that I will have to put up with I guess.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Why not try Oracle VirtualBox as per how_to:family_historian_ancestral_sources_on_oracle_virtualbox|> Family Historian & Ancestral Sources on Oracle VirtualBox?
That would avoid such issues.
anthonyc
Family Historian: V6

Post by anthonyc »

I know this is an old thread, but for future reference, in straight Wine/Linux I found this can be resolved by running winecfg, and deselecting "Allow the window manager to control the windows" in the Graphics tab.
Maybe this is to do with the type of dialog box and a broken interaction with the window manager? I am using Ubuntu 20.04.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you, Anthony, although it was reportedly fixed in Crossover 18.5.0.