* AS failure to recognise a jpg file to link as a new image to an entry.

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
themoudie
Famous
Family Historian: V7

AS failure to recognise a jpg file to link as a new image to an entry.

Post by themoudie »

Does anybody have a possible explanation for AS not being able to recognise a jpg file to link as a new image to a new entry?

I suspect, knowing my capabilities, that there is something relatively simple behind the problem. Having re-arranged my folders in my 'Family History' files, NOT IN THE 'FH PROJECTS' FOLDERS, could file name length be causing the problem.

I have tried using "All files" rather than "jpg" when opening the files in the AS image viewer, to no avail.

I attach 2 screen dumps. One an overall view of all the screens open and a close up of the ! screen shown by the AS image viewer.

Thank you in anticipation of your time and diagnosis.

My regards, Bill
Attachments
Questioned_file_presence.jpg
Questioned_file_presence.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
Questioned_file_allscreens.jpg
Questioned_file_allscreens.jpg (234.29 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: AS failure to recognise a jpg file to link as a new image to an entry.

Post by tatewise »

Exactly what commands did you use to get that error message?

The file path in the error message seems to be completely different from the file path in Open file dialogue sitting behind.
The error message has lots of year-1~1 style folders, which may be 8 character DOS contractions of the full name.
The Open dialogue has year-year_name_name style folders, which if there are several, may well be too long.
The limit is about 250 characters.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Theres a handy tool for checking path lengths here: https://github.com/deadlydog/PathLengthChecker/releases
(I've just redownloaded it and checked it - no nasties). Download the "Path.Length.Checker.v1.1.1.zip" file.

Having selected a root folder (eg the FH Projects folder), run it and it will display a list of all of the files. If you then click on the heading for the Length column it will sort (min to max or max to min) the entries, so easy to find the longest ones. You can also copy the output to the clipboard, to print of save.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Good morning Mike and David,

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

NO "Commands" were used to generate the 'Error message', as in coded instructions, I don't know how! ;) I opened AS, selected the FH Project and then went to select the image from which I wished to enter the data, using the AS image viewer. After selecting the image and single clicking the 'Open' button in the bottom right of the selection screen, "Hey Presto", the 'Error message' appears. It is appearing for all of the image files in this folder.

So, I shall "un-nest" my folders and return them to the structure that I had before, which to date had given no problems. I shall also give the "PathLengthChecker" a shot, as that will notify me of any folders/files getting perilously close to the ~250 character limit.

My regards, Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, if you have changed the folder structure for media files using Windows File Explorer, then the Media record File Links in FH must be changed to match. Have you done that?

What happens in FH if you use the camera icon Media button and View All Media.
Are lots of media shown as a cross in a rectangle that indicates broken links?

Use Tools > External File Links.
Does it indicate lots of broken links with X against the media?
If so, then try using the Auto Repair Links button.
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Aye Mike,

No, you misunderstand. I have made no amendments within the FH Projects, Media folders.

What I should have said is " I opened AS, selected the FH Project and then went to select the image from my F:/ Family_history/!!!_Anderson/ folder, from which I wished to enter the data, using the AS image viewer. After selecting the image and single clicking the 'Open' button in the bottom right of the selection screen, "Hey Presto", the 'Error message' appears. It is appearing for all of the image files in this folder."

My folder structure allows me to keep all my genealogy information in "F:/ Family_history/", but then has separate folders for "FH/Projects", "Rayner_family" and "Anderson_family". I know that to the database purist this is heresy of the reasoning behind databases, as the 'Image files' are duplicated, but it enables me to live in my "analogue/card world" and still use FH to do what I require, without writing loads of code.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and re-map the folders today, but will give it a try later on and report back.

Thank you for your time, I hope the sun is out and you are having a good day.

My regards, Bill
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

davidm_uk wrote:Theres a handy tool for checking path lengths here: https://github.com/deadlydog/PathLengthChecker/releases
(I've just redownloaded it and checked it - no nasties). Download the "Path.Length.Checker.v1.1.1.zip" file
That's a handy tool, path lengths for my Family Historian Projects from 70 for .fh_proj to 230 for one file. Useful to know if I'm getting too verbose in the file names! Remember DOS 8.3 :lol:
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Good evening Mike,

Just re-ordered my F:/ Family_history/!!!_Anderson/ folder, so as to have a less nested structure and "Hey Presto!" AS viewer now identifies the image file and I am able to apply 'Keywords' before saving it in my FH Project 'Media' files.

It's that old problem of being specific, succinct, without abbreviation or codification in file and folder naming. ;)

I'm away to reveal the true extent of my sins by giving: PathLengthChecker a whirl!

And, having given PathLengthChecker a whirl I need to have a wee think about naming folders and files of some ancestors. The maximum number of characters was 270, for one file! :oops: However, when you have a name of Boston Archibald Cunningham Anderson and offspring with permutations of their father's name, you can see "Why?" nested folders can soon overun the 250 character limit.

My regards, Bill
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

As some have found it useful I wonder if that Path Length Checker https://github.com/deadlydog/PathLengthChecker/releases
could be added to the Freeware Downloads section in the KB?
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes that is done David at fhugdownloads:contents:utility_path_length_checker|> Utility ~ Path Length Checker.

Please review its contents are correct.
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Mike,
The second link, under Download, returns an error message:

"FHUG - Missing Download File
The file wiki/data/media//https////github.com/deadlydog/PathLengthChecker/releases does not exist.
Please email admin@fhug.org.uk with the error shown above."

I think it should be this: https://github.com/deadlydog/PathLengthChecker/releases pehaps with a note to download the top entry for "Path.Length.Checker.v1.1.1.zip". It assumes that people will know how to extract the required subfolder from that zip file, and which executable to run.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you David, those issues are now fixed.