* AS Templates - Death Scotland 1855

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
bonalymac

AS Templates - Death Scotland 1855

Post by bonalymac »

I've just been entering my first death in Scotland in 1855. There is a significant amount of "extra" data that is not present in 1856 onwards.

The default Scottish Death AutoText is entitled SR Death Certificate 1856 - Scotland. I assume SR stands for Statutory Record. I had a look in the downloads but there is no template there for 1855.

A search of the forum only identified this post on the topic Looking forward to the next version already! (8891)

I assume therefore that there is no way to capture this easily (without using Notes) unless I create my own Custom Template which I'm not confident enough to attempt.

Presumably the same applies for birth & marriage too although I believe the "extra" info is not as great.

Colin
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: AS Templates - Death Scotland 1855

Post by LornaCraig »

I don't have any 1855 Scottish death certs so I haven't had to deal with them, but I do have a couple of 1855 Scottish birth certificates, which include extra details of father's age and place of birth, where and when the parents were married, how many children they have had and how many of those are living/deceased, mother's age and birthplace.

You can enter this all in the Text field in AS manually. Then after creating the event with AS you can enter the extra information directly in FH and cite the newly created source. So in the example of a birth cert giving the date and place of marriage of the parents, you can create their marriage event in FH (if it doesn't already exist) and add the child's birth cert as a source. In the Where within Source field you could enter "parent's marriage details". If their marriage event already exists, just add the new birth cert as an extra source for that event. Similarly with the parents' places of birth and their ages, which can be used to calculated approximate years of birth, the child's birth cert can be used as a source for their birth events.

AS tries to cater for as many scenarios as possible but there are relatively few of these early Scottish certs so it would hardly be worth Nick Walker (the author) spending time adding these extra details to AS. Just create the extra facts in FH yourself afterwards.
Lorna
bonalymac

Post by bonalymac »

AS tries to cater for as many scenarios as possible but there are relatively few of these early Scottish certs so it would hardly be worth Nick Walker (the author) spending time adding these extra details to AS. Just create the extra facts in FH yourself afterwards.
I fully appreciate that, and I wasn't complaining about the lack of templates. Just wanting to check that I wasn't missing anything obvious.

I had planned to do broadly what you suggested as a work-around anyway.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response.

Colin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, there are a number of different aspects to this depending on what the "extra" data is and how it is recorded.

Anyway, in most cases the Auto Text Template for every BMD or Census record is only a draft guestimate.
You should always review and edit the text to create a faithful transcript as advised in the Help:
You may need to edit the source text to ensure an accurate transcription is made.
So in the 1855 Death case you could just edit the "extra" data into the transcript Text box.

The "extra" data could only be automatically added to the Auto Text via a Template if it is entered into the AS fields on the tabs and a Keyword exists in the Template editor for that data field.

Otherwise, the best that an Auto Text Template for 1855 could do would be to insert the standard text from the certificate leaving blanks for you to fill in the "extra" data.
In this latter case, creating a Template is quite easy.
See ancestralsources:tutorial:templates:auto_text_templates|> Ancestral Sources Tutorial ~ Working With Templates ~ (3) Auto Text.
Use Tools > Auto Text Template Editor and select Death and SR Death Certificate 1856- (Scotland).
Duplicate the template and change its Title to identify 1855 Scotland.
Enter the wording from the certificate in the appropriate positions so that the Preview below looks good.
Finally Save it. QED
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
bonalymac

Post by bonalymac »

I am actually quite keen to have a go, and you do make it sound tempting.

I wont be able to look at it for quite a few days though, but I will update the thread

Thanks for the extra help.

Colin
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Colin, do bear in mind that even if you create an Auto Text template you will still need to create the extra facts and/or citations manually in FH. The template just makes it easier to generate the 'text from source' which will be shown in the Source record.
Lorna
bonalymac

Post by bonalymac »

Lorna

I "think" I was aware that I might have to do that. But I'm not experienced enough to know properly it yet.

I will work in stages. Creating a template seems to be stage 1. Once I have it working, I'll then look at the FH side of things. I have the "Getting the most from FH 6" book. So I'll have to read it in detail and understand the facts issue a bit better.

I like getting into things however so I'll enjoy doing that. I find it helps me better understand the program and how it works.

All my immediate family are Scotland based, so whilst I've only come across one so far, I anticipate a few more so it won't be wasted.

Thanks

Colin
bonalymac

Post by bonalymac »

Thanks to you all. I've just created my first two templates.

I made minor alts to the Birth and Death auto-texts to include time of birth/death.

I'll move onto the more complex one later.

And I did a back-up before and after.

Thanks

Colin