* Link Media files

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
ampt
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Link Media files

Post by ampt »

I have started a new project to see what I could and couldn't do. I have successfully added Country Hungary and 1856 Census in template.
I am using 2 different Census sources for same information:

1. Copy of original Hungarian records in LDS library (now online). These are in large files and cover births, deaths, marriages, census, etc. in LDS Film # 007952157. I am using this general info as a Source Record for all relevant entries. I then specify where on the film the actual, relevant census data are located (eg.Image 14 of 414, LDS Film # 007952157). In AS I attached an actual image of the specific entry. When I checked in FH, the image attached to the entry did not show. The image attached to the source did show. I really need the image of the detailed info to show. Do I enter them separately?

2. Same issue with Census on JewishGen
Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 10.18.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 10.18.01 AM.png (206.34 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
where my source is the actual page (that's the image linked to source) and I would want the image of each separate entry linked to the family census fact for the individual.

I have looked and read the tutorials, etc. and it seems to me that in AS the source (for both 1 and 2) would be the actual entry for the family.

Is there some way I can accomplish my objective? Otherwise I would have a huge amount of source citations and images.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Link Media files

Post by tatewise »

What you describe is the accepted conventional way of documenting Census records, and most BMD records too. It is what is dubbed Method 1 for Source 'splitters' (the alternative is Method 2 for Source lumpers). It was discussed in your From Media to Source (15458) posting.

When you joined in 2015, I strongly advised you work through how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and follow up its links, and Sources Methods 1 & 2 relates to this discussion.

Using Method 1 the specific Media image is only attached to the Source record and its Text From Source field holds the transcript text. For Census records, each Census Event for members of the same household has a Citation of the same Source record. This satisfies the database objective of only recording details once in one place. Yes, Method 1 yields many Source records, and even more Citations, but so what?

If you use Method 2 then one Source record holds the image of the whole Census, so where would you attach the image of the specific entry and its transcript? The answer is you attach them to the Citation itself, but that means repeating those entries for every member of the household. Yes, you have fewer Source records, but you have same number of Citations that are much more complex & replicated.

You show the Media image for both Methods via the cunningly named Show Media button in both the Facts tab and the yellow Sources For pane. Also in Reports the Census fact has a superscript that links to a Source record entry that shows the Media image if enabled.

AS supports both Method 1 and Method 2 so you can experiment with the alternatives.
See the ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources tutorials also linked from how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.

Did I cover everything? If not then post again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ampt
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Re: Link Media files

Post by ampt »

Thanks,
I am working through the possibilities to get what I want. Given the material I am working with, it's all trial and error. I appreciate your feedback.