* Create a Fact stating the 'Condition' of the Married Couple

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Create a Fact stating the 'Condition' of the Married Couple

Post by David Potter »

Hi Forum

Is it possible to set AS to create the marital condition of the couple. EG, Bachelor and Spinster and Widow, Widower. I can see that would be useful to see in the Facts window. I use the field wherever possible but can't see it is mapped anywhere as Fact data as opposed to Religion which can create a fact. I guess this request would also need a suitable Fact Type as in marriage - condition

If not possible - could this be included in a future release please.
BillH
Megastar

Re: Create a Fact stating the 'Condition' of the Married Couple

Post by BillH »

David,

On the marriage details tab are two fields to specify the status of each person. is that what you are looking for?
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 7832 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think those two fields only affect the Auto Text and thus the Text From Source of Source record.

Firstly, it is difficult for AS (or any other tools such as Plugins) to map on non-standard Gedcom items.
In this case it would need some custom Facts, but what would they be?
They are not Events, so would have to be Attributes, with a Date Period of prior to the Marriage?

But hang on, what do those Conditions imply?
Bachelor and Spinster means they have not been married before, so the lack of any earlier Spouse conveys that Condition.
Widower and Widow means they must have an earlier Spouse who has Died which conveys that Condition.
Divorced will involve earlier Marriage and Divorce events.

So it is not clear to me why specific Facts are needed to explicitly state the 'Condition' when it is represented by other information.
AS will not create that other information, but given those 'Conditions' it is the genealogists task to map the information.
Initially the information may be sketchy, so perhaps no names and no dates, but that is the nature of genealogy research.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

As an aside, I have several Parish entries in the Isle of Man where the Vicar completely (or intentionally) misunderstood the meaning of the Condition column on the new fangled forms when they were introduced (1849 on the Isle of Man) .

He would usually write a description of the couples wellbeing (In Good Conditon, In Average Condition, In Poor Condition).
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you both, sorry only just seen the replies. No problem - it is just that TMG handled that with a little assistance.

Points taken. Just thought it would be useful it if could be 'captured' via AS to create a Fact or Attribute to visually show this in FH
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Not quite sure that my question is exactly the same as this one, but this was the nearest I could find on searching the forum

I'm looking for a way to mark a person as a bachelor (or a spinster) at death. This is a distinction from not knowing if they were married, in this case I know (as best as one can) that he/she was a bachelor/spinster.

Is there a way to mark it other than as a note?

Colin
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

You can set the Marriage Count attribute for the Individual to zero.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks very much
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families