* Repeat census entries

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Genie15
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Repeat census entries

Post by Genie15 »

I am new to Ancestral Sources (two weeks) so bear with me please.
I input the data etc in a census then when I've finished I save the file and AS asks me a few futher questions one (from FH) being to reload the file.
Then if I have more data to put in I have to reload AS, select the option I want. Find it a bit tedious. Is there a way to over come this repeat loading of AS.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Repeat census entries

Post by LornaCraig »

I guess you are opening the AS program via the plugin Ancestral Sources Data Entry. The plugin is useful if you want to open AS with the relevant person already selected. However it means that every time you complete one entry in AS and switch back to FH the file will need reloading in FH. If you are doing a 'batch' entry of several census records at once, covering different family groups, you may find it easier to open the Ancestral Sources program directly, while FH is not running. Then do all the entries in AS while FH is closed. (This is what I do). Then when they are all complete, close AS and open FH.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry but Lorna has slightly mislead you.

If you use the Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin there is the option Close on 'Save Entry to File' ? which defaults to ticked, but if you untick it then AS will NOT Close on each Save and allow a batch of entries. That is explained in the Plugin Help and Advice page.

The Plugin is particularly useful because it ensures the correct Project Gedcom file is used (a common problem) and allows the initial focus person to be pre-selected.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, sorry Mike I had overlooked that option as I normally do large batches of census entries in AS with FH closed. In that scenario, and with only one main project, I don't need to use the plugin. I have AS set to open on my main project by default.

I appreciate the value of the plugin if you want to quickly add data to an individual while FH is open, but I think sometimes new users are not aware that AS can be run independently and it is possible to open AS directly without going via FH.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree it is worth knowing the alternative ways of running AS, but all too often, new users run AS on the wrong Gedcom and wonder where their data went.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I did ask Nick, very early on, would it be possible, instead of having the tick box on the plugin, to have two save options in AS.
One would be save & exit, the other would be save & continue.
I am forever forgetting to set the correct option when I run the plugin.
John
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Plugin option is 'sticky' per Project, so once unticked it should stay unticked.
It just means you have to Close AS after the last Save.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

I open FH and then open AS. It then asks me the project name, I click on that and can enter all the information I have. If I minimise AS wishing to do something in FH it asks to update, I do, deal with what I need to do and then maximise AS again. I don't find any problems.
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

Thank you for the replies.
I must get my eyes retested as Close on 'Save Entry to File'? is on the first menu after opening Ancestral Sources and I've never noticed it despite looking in all the other options.
Another success to the Forum.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I just need to clarify a common misunderstanding about the two components involved with running AS.

1) From FH what you run is a Plugin called Ancestral Sources Data Entry that has the Close on 'Save Entry to File'? tick option, and lets you choose the data entry mode, and has other green buttons. It launches the Program as described in 2) below. This Plugin is installed into the FH Tools > Plugins.

2) The Program application called Ancestral Sources has the mainly green background and a toolbar across the top. This Program is installed into Windows in much the same way as FH and can be run on its own without going via the Plugin.