* Census entry notes

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Census entry notes

Post by E Wilcock »

When I make a census entry, I sometimes add a note about a particular person which goes in the Note field of the Census Event tag for that person (but not for the rest of the household).

Is there a way of adding individual notes when using AS census entry?

I have given up witnesses for census entry - And I can see the grid list in AS.

If I want to see that household for a census after it arrives in fh, is there a way of doing this? I have been using the fh Search to type in the address and that brings up all the people who were at that address. If I just type in the street, I may get some neighbours too.

But there is probably a correct way of viewing a census household in fh?

Sometimes my Census note just lists unrelated people who were listed together - for example staff in a big house or a stables -
DavidNewton
Superstar

Re: Census entry notes

Post by DavidNewton »

I thought that sounds easy but in fact there seem to be a number of steps unless I am missing a simpler way.

Assuming you are using a Method 1 census source then one way is this:
Focus one of the individuals in the household on census day. Go to the Facts tab of their property box and select the appropriate census.
Making sure the source pane is showing, select the census source and click the blue arrow at the bottom of that small window to put the census into the property box. In the toolbar above the property box click the go to record button (white page with red arrow) this should bring up the records window with that source selected. If you have a faster way of selecting the source record use it!

Now go to Views > Record Links and you will get a box with all the individuals linked to that source, i.e., all the individuals recorded in that household on census day.

David
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

When you have the Property box for the Source record open, as described by David, you will be able to see the Text from Source and the Source Note there. The text from source may only list the individuals who are linked to the source in FH (unless you have manually added the other 'miscellaneous' household residents to the grid in AS, which is recommended) but the Note will display your list of extra people, if you recorded them there. The Text from Source pane and the Note pane can both be expanded by clicking the vertical bar at the right hand side on their respective fields.
Lorna
TimTreeby
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by TimTreeby »

To view Census Households I just run a query, to show who is in a particular census. Sample output I get for 1861 Census is shown below
1861Census.PNG
1861Census.PNG (153.12 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
As you can see, I can also see Neighbours as well.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

1) Add a Note to the Census Event of one Individual
In AS in the Census Template add an extra Generic column called Note and choose the option to Append to census event local note.
Then anything entered in that Note column will be added to the Census Event Note box for the associated Individual.

2) Add a transcript of 'other' people in the Census
A list of unrelated people who were listed together in a Census should be added to the Source record itself in the Text From Source box, because it is a transcript of the Census record. You can add that list to the Auto-Text box grid in AS while you still have the Census document available. In fact you should almost always edit the Auto-Text box for every type of document such that it accurately reflects all the text in the document.

3) Locate all members of a Census household.
From any one Individual via their Census Event and Citation open the Census Source record Property Box.
Then use View > Record Links to get a list of Household members, but you can only Go To one of them, unless you use the icon lower left to add them to a Named List and then you can manage them from that list.
Alternatively, click the Go To Record button at top of Property Box and then run the Where Used Record Links Plugin to get a Result Set list detailing every Census/Occupation/Birth event, etc, that cites that Census Source record.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Excellent Mike - Thank you. I have a far better understanding now of AS. And how to get it to enter the data I want.
Thank you also to the users who showed me their solutions.

I see that I have been putting some information in the Census Event that should have gone into the text from source. Easy mistake to make when using source lists that are not paginated. I can identify entries by householder instead and will change my ways.