* Recording Certificate No and doc references in AS

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
kevinmerrison
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Recording Certificate No and doc references in AS

Post by kevinmerrison »

A spin-off from the Key Repositories? (14023) discussion on FH Forum regarding recording certificate or folio numbers.
Inputting to AS Ref ID field, under method 1 defaults to show in FH source record title and Publication Information.
I've kept the default method 1 source title to include the RefID (thanks Mike) but unticked/switched off the option to drop Ref ID into publication information (thanks Lorna) as I want to use the field for information regarding the publisher of the source.
Can an option be added to drop the AS Ref ID into the FH Source record Custom ID field (as described in Where to Record It).
If this were possible, any pitfalls?
Thank you
Kevin
Kevin Merrison - bonkers for Bilbo* https://bilbow.one-name.net/
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Recording Certificate No and doc references in AS

Post by NickWalker »

kevinmerrison wrote: Can an option be added to drop the AS Ref ID into the FH Source record Custom ID field (as described in Where to Record It).
If this were possible, any pitfalls?
Thank you
Kevin
Anything is possible, but it won't be in the near future.

I assume by 'Where to record it' you mean the book by William Clegg? I've been a major contributor to the FHUG site and the Family Historian world for 13 years now and I've not come across him. Presumably his book doesn't even mention Ancestral Sources, yet anyone offering advice on using Family Historian should surely refer to it?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
kevinmerrison
Gold

Post by kevinmerrison »

Thanks Nick, maybe something for the future.

Mike mentioned how he was not keen on using custom ID, so if it were incorporated (please) it would need to be an option like the link to FH Publication field.

For now I've switched off the link in AS Options RefID to FH publication, but kept the link into the FH source title, so it shows on FH and can be found on search/queries.

I don't have the book by William Clegg, more of a pamphlet that I got with FHv5, so not able to comment if AS is mentioned in book. As you say, one would hope any guidance on using FH would include the potential use of AS as it is such a useful tool, not only speeding up data entry, but also helping keep entries accurate and searchable.

Regards Kevin
Kevin Merrison - bonkers for Bilbo* https://bilbow.one-name.net/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have an idea for the future that may be worth exploring.
Fields such as the Source Title and Media Title offer templates using Keywords.
A fully generalised solution would involve extending that idea to other fields, and apply to all Source types.
In other words, all the fields such as Short Title, Author, Publication Info, Custom Id, Where Within Source would have a template of Keywords, so the user can choose exactly what goes where.
There already is the general purpose Other field {OTHER} keyword, and by adding say an Author field {AUTHOR} keyword, then it would be extremely flexible.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry