* Ancestral Sources v5.2.0 (Beta)

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ancestral Sources v5.2.0 (Beta)

Post by NickWalker »

I've decided to release another minor update to Ancestral Sources. I'm hopeful this will be OK for everyone to use, but for now I'll class it as a 'beta' version as it hasn't been fully tested. If any issues arise I'll fix them quickly and all being well I'll take the 'beta' tag off it and update the AS Knowledge Base, website, add a news announcement to FHUG, etc.

Therefore, feel free to download and try this out but be extra careful for now and as always make sure you are confident you have backups, etc. As usual it is available in a 64 bit version and 32 bit version.

Please let me know if you spot any problems, either by replying to this post or by emaiing me (nick at ancestralsources dot com)

Best wishes

Nick

Changes in Ancestral Sources Version 5.2
  • Julian dual dates (e.g. 10 Feb 1713/14) were not being handled correctly. This was due to a problem introduced in version 4.5 and not reported by anyone. It should now be fixed.
  • There is now a new template tag {IMAGEINFO} available for use in image title templates. If this tag is used in an image template and a new image is selected to add to the entry, then there is an 'Additional Information' text box available. This can be used to specify extra text to appear in the multimedia object's title and also the file name (if the 'rename file' option is ticked). This could be used to distinguish between multiple images added to a source.
  • If the image viewer was set to always be on top, a small number of dialogue forms would pop-up behind the image viewer. These should now appear correctly above the image viewer.
  • Images in the image viewer can now be zoomed in and out by holding down Control and using the mouse scroll-wheel. This mimics standard behaviour in many other applications.
  • On the image viewer, when more than one image is being linked, AS will now attempt to retain the same zoom level and positioning on each image so that the current view will be retained as you move between them.
  • Robin Dew requested support for entry of Quarter Dates, e.g. Q3 1809. This should now be possible for all source types other than census.
  • The About option under the help menu will now display if the version of AS being run is 32 bit or 64 bit.
  • Updated the default method 1 and image title templates for Deaths to be consistent with the corresponding Birth title templates. Suggested by David Potter.
  • Colin Spencer reported that the options to retain marriage status when entering multiple marriages didn't work. Retaining the religion also had the same problem and this is now fixed.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources v5.2.0 (Beta)

Post by NickWalker »

Just bumping this up the recent posts list so it doesn't get missed!
Nick Walker

johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

No Problems so far
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Nick

32bit on Crossover is running fine without issue so far.
hughfuller
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by hughfuller »

Hi,

I have been using AS 5.1.3 extensively over the past several days and it has worked very well. I upgraded to 5.2.0 yesterday, and it has for the most part also worked well. Late today, however, after heavy census data entry there was a file save error and my ged file was corrupted. Not sure if this has anything to do with AS but I thought I would let you know.

I am using FH 6.2 and AS 5.2.0 in a Windows 10 VM in Parallels on a mac air. My project files are on a file server that I access on my local network. Luckily I restored my ged file from my latest AS backup and I only have to re enter details for one census page! For now I am going back to AS 5.1.3 until I hear if others have similar problems.

Hugh
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Hugh

I don't think the file saving routines were touched as part of this update so I think it is unlikely to be a 5.2 issue that caused this (but not impossible of course). If AS fails during a file save it should display an error which may be useful to me at least so if you get any repeats let me know.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Walker

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Might this be related to Records saved in AS but not appearing in FH (13941)?

Either Auto-save or Snapshots were considered as culprits.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

tatewise wrote:Might this be related to Records saved in AS but not appearing in FH (13941)?

Either Auto-save or Snapshots were considered as culprits.
That doesn't seem like the same issue to me. That thread was discussing FH continuing to save and therefore AS triggering a reload, whereas Hugh says there was a file save error in AS. It may be related but, as far as I know, FH wouldn't be able to write to the file at exactly the same time as AS (because one of the programs would have a file lock).
Nick Walker

hughfuller
Silver

Post by hughfuller »

It was indeed a file save error in AS - of course I was so surprised I forgot to write the error text down! If it happens again I will let you know what it says. In the meantime I am wondering whether it was a network glitch, given that I am accessing the project files over a wifi network.

Thanks for your thoughts and I will let you know if I have further issues.
Hugh
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

No reported problems so far (I'm currently assuming the error reported by Hugh isn't related to this update and more likely to be caused by a network issue as it was being run on a Virtual Machine on a Mac with files on a network server). Unless there are any issues reported I'll aim to release it fully early next week.

Nick
Nick Walker

hughfuller
Silver

Post by hughfuller »

Running error-free now. Hugh
Peter Collier
Famous

Post by Peter Collier »

The blurb on the download page only makes reference to Windows up to version 8.1. Does this need to be edited to include Windows 10? It certainly seems to run fine for me using that OS.
Peter Collier

Collier, Savory, Buckerfield, Edmonds, Low, Dungey, Lester, Chambers, Walshe, Moylan, Bradley, Connors, Udale, Wilson, Benfield, Downey
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wondered how long it would be for somebody to spot that :)
Now updated.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I'd updated one of those references to 8.1 earlier today but I'd not spotted this one.

Note that v.5.2.0 has now been released and so this is no longer considered beta.
Nick Walker