* Marine Register

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Iant
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Marine Register

Post by Iant »

I have a certified copy of an entry in the Marine Register. It is the return of the death of a sailor at sea and there is no other registration of the death. What is the best way to enter this using AS (5.1.3) as the certificate format is different from that of a 'normal' death certificate? Does anyone already have a suitable template?

Ian
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Marine Register

Post by LornaCraig »

As this is a 'one-off' case I wouldn't bother to use AS. Simply enter the details direct in FH. Create a death event and enter the date and place (probably just 'at sea'?) and enter any additional information in the note field, explaining what the certificate is. You can create a source record and link the image to that, just as AS would, but instead of calling it a death certificate give it some other meaningful title such as 'Certified copy of entry in Marine Register'.

If you do want to use AS, just fill in as many of the details as you can but don't use the auto-text option. Just enter a transcript in whatever format the certificate is in. You may then want to change the title of the Source record afterwards in FH.
Lorna
Iant
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Iant »

I've sort of answered this myself, having created the following template. It's based on the data only death template with everything stripped out except for those fields that appear on the certificate and the REF and OTHER fields, though I haven't used them. I've also inserted text for 'Official Number', 'Nationality' and 'Passenger or Member of Crew' which don't appear in the AS entry form for death. For the certificate I received I've used ADDR for the ship, and PLACE would be 'at sea'. Some of the fixed text has also been changed to match the column names on the certificate.
Comments appreciated.

Ian

Return of Deaths at Sea, reported to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen under the provision of "Merchant Shipping Act, 1894" and 1970, During the Month of
=IF[{REF}|Reference: {REF}
|]=IF[{ADDR}|Name of Ship: {ADDR}
Official Number:
|]=IF[{DATE}|Date of Death: {DATE}
|]=IF[{PLACE}|Place of Death: {PLACE}
|]=IF[=EQUALSNOT[{KEYPERSON.FULL}|<No Name>]|Name and Surname of Deceased: {KEYPERSON.FULL}
|]=IF[{KEYPERSON.GENDER}|Sex: {KEYPERSON.GENDER}
|]=IF[{KEYPERSON.AGE.SHORT}|Age: {KEYPERSON.AGE.SHORT}
|]=IF[{KEYPERSON.OCCUPATION}|Rank, Profession or Occupation: {KEYPERSON.OCCUPATION}
Nationality:
|]=IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE}|Last Place of Abode: {KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE}
|]=IF[{KEYPERSON.CAUSEOFDEATH}|Cause of Death: {KEYPERSON.CAUSEOFDEATH}
Passenger or Member of Crew:
|]=IF[{OTHER}|Other Info: {OTHER}
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Once all interested parties have agreed, then that template could be added to the fhugdownloads:ancestralsources|> Downloads and Links ~ Ancestral Sources for the benefit of other users.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry