* Ancestral Sources v5.1 (Beta)

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Ancestral Sources v5.1 (Beta)

Post by johnmorrisoniom » 26 Feb 2016 21:22

Thanks Nick, that gives me something to work on.
If anyone is interested I have created autotext templates for Catholic Baptisms and Burials (In Latin, but not latinising the names).

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 28 Feb 2016 16:24

Nick

I have created various England census entries for all years including the 1939 Register. I have added marriages and baptisms without any issues I haven't had any burials, births or deaths to enter unfortunately.

The enhancement of automatically selecting the parents when adding a child is a real time saver, thanks for this.

One thing to add to your enhancement list if at all possible:

I have had several baptisms within the family on the same day. Can more fields be added to the save on exit for this event? Ideally the residence address of all the family would make the following entry / entries a bit quicker.

NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Post by NickWalker » 28 Feb 2016 19:20

johnmorrisoniom wrote:Thanks Nick, that gives me something to work on.
If anyone is interested I have created autotext templates for Catholic Baptisms and Burials (In Latin, but not latinising the names).
I'm sure someone would find these handy: you could add them to the templates on the knowledge base or if you want to send them to me I'll do it for you.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 28 Feb 2016 19:26

Valkrider wrote:I have created various England census entries for all years including the 1939 Register. I have added marriages and baptisms without any issues I haven't had any burials, births or deaths to enter unfortunately. The enhancement of automatically selecting the parents when adding a child is a real time saver, thanks for this.
Thanks Colin for your feedback.
One thing to add to your enhancement list if at all possible: I have had several baptisms within the family on the same day. Can more fields be added to the save on exit for this event? Ideally the residence address of all the family would make the following entry / entries a bit quicker.
I had a look at this but it requires more development time than I have available right now so I've added it to the list for a future version. When I looked at this though I realised that when I brought in the birth source support (in v5) I broke the ability to be able to retain parents for the next baptism entry. That will be available again in the release of 5.1 so that should help you a little.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 28 Feb 2016 20:54

Nick,

Thanks that will certainly help.

I found something after my earlier post that I haven't come across before, it may be a bug or it may be an enhancement request.

This relates to the fact that I do a surname study, as a result I have many individuals who are not attached to families. I created a census entry for a father and mother having previously just found them together in an earlier census without children. I then added two children and then realised that the third child was already in the database (he had a very unusual first name). I selected his existing record and added him into the census entry and made his relationship to son of the head of household. I then added a fourth child to the entry. Saved it as usual and went back to Family Historian. The family were all there and updated with the census entry except for the pre-existing child he was not shown as a child in the family record. I checked that he had had the census entry added as a fact he just wasn't added to the family record so I had to add him manually.

Am I expecting too much of Ancestral Sources or was this scenario never envisaged?

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 28 Feb 2016 21:08

AS is not clever enough to use the Census Relationship column to alter FH Family relationships.

When you use Add Child, AS knows explicitly what to do, but otherwise you must use FH to adjust relationships.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 28 Feb 2016 21:13

Valkrider wrote:I created a census entry for a father and mother having previously just found them together in an earlier census without children. I then added two children and then realised that the third child was already in the database (he had a very unusual first name). I selected his existing record and added him into the census entry and made his relationship to son of the head of household. I then added a fourth child to the entry. Saved it as usual and went back to Family Historian. The family were all there and updated with the census entry except for the pre-existing child he was not shown as a child in the family record. I checked that he had had the census entry added as a fact he just wasn't added to the family record so I had to add him manually. Am I expecting too much of Ancestral Sources or was this scenario never envisaged?
No the census grid has never been able to be used as a method of adding new individuals or linking existing individuals to families. It is something that it might be possible to do in a future version so I'll add it to the list.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 28 Feb 2016 21:45

Second v5.1 beta (v5.1.1) is now available and I'm hoping this is the one I'll be able to release so please try it out. As usual it is available in a 64 bit version and 32 bit version.

The following changes have been made since the first beta:
  • For census entries which include a birth date column (e.g. UK 1939), the dates are now displayed in title case rather than capitals to be more consistent with other date fields in Ancestral Sources. This inconsistency was reported by 'capnkeith' on the FHUG AS forum.
  • Doug Byway reported an issue which must have been in AS since version 1, which could have meant that a cell currently being edited in the census grid was not saved. This has now been fixed.
  • The option to retain parents after saving a baptism entry was broken by version 5. This is now available again for baptisms together with the option to retain parents for birth entries.
Nick Walker

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 29 Feb 2016 08:55

Nick, same problem with the new Beta -- problem accessing the settings file, which persisted at every startup until I ran as administrator. Very odd...
Attachments
error message.jpg
error message.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 5919 times

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 29 Feb 2016 09:54

Helen, try checking the permissions on various Ancestral Sources folder files:
Right-click file > Properties > Security tab, and note Groups or user names and their Permissions below.

Check a sample of files in all three folders: Backups, Logs, Settings.

Is there any difference amongst them?
Especially AutoText.xml versus the rest.

If possible, re-install AS Beta 5.1.1 so the problem report occurs.
Check the Permissions on AutoText.xml.
Run as administrator to fix the problem report.
Check the Permissions on AutoText.xml again and compare with those above..

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 29 Feb 2016 10:50

Mike, as per http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 430#p67108 I did all that the first time the error occurred -- no change to the permissions; files were not read only at any point.

Helen

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 29 Feb 2016 11:04

Sorry Helen, it was not clear from any of your postings that you had actually checked the Security tab Permissions in detail, rather than just the General tab Attributes.

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 29 Feb 2016 19:06

ColeValleyGirl wrote:Nick, same problem with the new Beta -- problem accessing the settings file, which persisted at every startup until I ran as administrator. Very odd...
When you say 'until I ran as administrator', I assume you mean you right-clicked on the shortcut and selected 'run as administrator'?
Nick Walker

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 29 Feb 2016 19:20

When you say 'until I ran as administrator', I assume you mean you right-clicked on the shortcut and selected 'run as administrator'?
Yes.

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 29 Feb 2016 22:05

Helen

Are you using Windows 10? is your account the owner of the files (you can see this in properties->security->advanced) and does that screen show your account has full control?

I don't use drop-box but I wonder if it is protecting the files in some way? Perhaps because AS is 'untrusted' (no certificate).

Nick
Nick Walker

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 29 Feb 2016 22:08

Using 5.1.1 beta.
I think I have just had an example of the error message reported by Valkrider in an earlier post.
If you already have both birth date and birth place for an individual but the 1939 register gives a different (more specific) date AS offers 4 options:

Replace just birth place with suggested place
Replace just birth date with suggested date
Replace both
Don't change birth event

This works fine because you can choose option 2.

But if you don't already have a birth place AS only gives 3 options:

Replace birth place with suggested place
Replace birth date and place with suggested date and place
Don't change the birth event

There is no option to replace just birth date with suggested date.

So I chose the second option but left the place blank. Then got a warning from FH about a link to a non-existent Place record:
Attachments
Error report.JPG
Error report.JPG (68.58 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
Lorna

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 29 Feb 2016 22:25

Thanks Lorna for tracking down the issue reported by Colin that I couldn't spot before. I've been able to reproduce the issue and I'll aim to fix it before 5.1 releases properly. It is obviously a result of this being the first census template with birth date but no birth place field so not a scenario I tested thoroughly (if at all) back in the early versions of AS when I was developing the census mode.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

Peter Collier
Famous

Post by Peter Collier » 01 Mar 2016 00:35

I came here to report a bug, but I see Lorna has beaten me to it. I'm getting the same error report under the same circumstances, i.e. when updating the birth date with a blank birth place.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 01 Mar 2016 07:51

Are you using Windows 10? is your account the owner of the files (you can see this in properties->security->advanced) and does that screen show your account has full control?
Yes, Windows 10; yes, I'm the owner; yes, I have full access.

I doubt Dropbox is protecting the files -- it doesn't have that functionality. And it shouldn't kick in to synchronise a file until it's been updated, and if I'm interpreting the error message properly, something is preventing the update. Unless AS updates each file twice in rapid succession? But then running as Admin shouldn't make a difference...

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 01 Mar 2016 07:53

Thanks Lorna for working this out. I tried to reproduce yesterday and couldn't was going to have another go to day.

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 06 Mar 2016 20:07

Third v5.1 beta (v5.1.2) is now available and again I'm hoping this is the one I'll be able to release so please try it out! As usual it is available in a 64 bit version and 32 bit version.

The following changes have been made since the second beta:
  • Colin Spencer and Lorna Craig reported that the census birth entry screen could add a blank place to an individual who has an existing birth entry with a date but no place recorded and that this caused an exception error report in Family Historian. This error should now be fixed and I've tidied up the various option that are presented when adding birth details for a census record
  • Ancestral Sources will now check for updates automatically every 7 days. Previously it was only possible to manually check using the option in the Help menu.
Thanks for all your help with testing so far.

Nick
Nick Walker

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 07 Mar 2016 13:06

Nick

Several census and marriages all input without any problems.

With the 1939 Register is it possible to always have 'Unpaid Domestic Duties' available in the Occupation select box? It is boring retyping it ;)

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 07 Mar 2016 15:39

Yes Colin, you can do that yourself by editing the Census Template, but Unpaid Household Duties is already on the list.
Use Census > Census Templates select Country: UK and Year: 1939.
Select Occupation comment and Edit List.
Then click + button to add row to list and type the Item: and Note Title: as Unpaid Domestic Duties.
Click OK and then Save.
QED

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 07 Mar 2016 17:00

Mike

No its not. It is in the template in the KB BUT it isn't in the template in the new AS.

I will add it though the way you have suggested.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 07 Mar 2016 17:19

Ah! I have not updated AS, so maybe Nick has accidentally omitted that item from his built-in 1939 Census Template?