* Ancestral Sources v5.1 (Beta)

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestral Sources v5.1 (Beta)

Post by NickWalker »

I didn't accidentally omit this column! There isn't a column on the 1939 census for occupation comment as far as I can see (I was sent some examples to look at). Occupation columns can't have drop-down lists as they are populated from previous occupations of the individuals selected. My templates generally try to match the census columns rather than inventing extra columns.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, had not spotted that subtle discrepancy between KB template and Registration form itself.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

NickWalker wrote: the census birth entry screen could add a blank place to an individual who has an existing birth entry with a date but no place recorded and that this caused an exception error report in Family Historian. This error should now be fixed and I've tidied up the various option that are presented when adding birth details for a census record
Thanks for the latest tweak Nick.
I note that in the scenario described there is now an option to change only the birth date, and also that if the option to change both date and place is inadvertently chosen this no longer produces an error message when FH is reloaded.
Lorna
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have just found possibly another gotcha.

Entering 1939 Register entry where previously you only have one family member. Click 'Add Spouse' type the name in as the Gender is already correct just hit enter (without Clicking OK) and the name is not taken from the input box but is recorded as <No Name>.

<No Name> cannot be edited in AS to enter the correct name. On returning to FH the correct name is shown. Save the FH project and then return to AS and it reloads the project the <No Name> has been changed to the correct name except it isn't quite correct it shows in the name list as

,First Name Last Name

instead of

Last Name, First Name
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, check FH more closely, as I suspect it has also not recorded the name correctly, but put it all in forenames with no surname. This may not be so obvious in V6 because the / surname delimiters are not now shown.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

You are right that is what it did even though the slashes were entered in AS.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Valkrider wrote:I have just found possibly another gotcha.
Thanks Colin. I've been back through all the previous versions of Ancestral Sources and that bug has been there since version 1.1 released almost 6 years ago. It never ceases to amaze me that errors like this can suddenly be discovered years later, despite the many thousands of downloads during that time, thousands of census entries made by users and the various beta testing programmes for each version since.

I'll obviously need to fix that before release, although clearly it hasn't caused too many problems to people over the years!

Also worth pointing out that although you couldn't edit the name it would have been possible to delete the individual you had added (Edit menu->Review/Remove...) and add them again.

Thanks Colin for another great find!

Nick
Nick Walker

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Nick,

No problem, sorry I keep finding these things usually due to user error or just trying to speed up data entry ;)

Sorry to give you the extra work.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Fourth v5.1 beta (v5.1.3) is now available and I'm aiming to release this one over the weekend unless I get any more errors spotted. This one should fix the issue spotted by Colin yesterday.As usual it is available in a 64 bit version and 32 bit version.
Nick Walker