* Copying sources into AS

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
wigansaint
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Copying sources into AS

Post by wigansaint »

As a relatively new user of both FH5 and AS I would like some advice please.At the moment I have used FH to record sources and citations(only for births,marriages and deaths so far),if I start to use Ancestral Sources would I have to input all the sources again via Ancestral sources or is there some way to import them from Family Historian. All certificates have been scanned and saved in the media file.
Also in earlier versions of Family Historian I have been able to put icons showing I have BMD certificates,and census info., on charts via the diagram boxes option but am struggling with version 5. Would they automatically appear on the diagrams if the source was recorded in Ancestral Sources?

Sorry if the question is a bit long winded, thanks in advance for any answers.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Copying sources into AS

Post by Jane »

Ancestral sources is a tool to record information in to your Family Historian database, it does not have it's own database.
ancestralsources:getting_started|Getting Started with AS
I recommend reviewing the various videos in the Knowledge base which explain the processes.

To set up icons on diagrams you need to add expressions or flags to the box settings on your diagrams.
how_to:using_flags_and_icons|using flags and icons
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Jane says, AS just streamlines the process of entering data into FH, and it has no genealogy database of its own.
Do follow the AS tutorials and watch the videos in the KB.

The methods you used before to add Icons to Diagrams will still work in FH V5.
If they have disappeared, maybe you have switched PC in upgrading to V5, and not transferred all your settings.

They will NOT automatically appear by using AS, but there are new ways to make Icons automatically appear in FH V5.
Follow the KB link given by Jane to see how to use Box Condition Expressions to achieve that.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wigansaint
Diamond

Post by wigansaint »

Thanks for your quick responses, everything is clicking into place.
I would like a suggestion as to how to enter the census title when I do not have all the information needed.As all my census images were downloaded from Ancestry there is incomplete information on the image as to Piece, Folio,Page and Schedule.If I put ?? in place of the missing numbers in the title would I then be able to edit the title via the sources tab in Family Historian? I currently do not have access to Ancestry to obtain the information. Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you can, but remember, if you use the AS default settings, the Ref ID appears in three places:
  • Source Record Title
  • Source Publication Information
  • Multimedia Record Title
So you would have to change all three.
However, there is a Search and Replace Plugin that can change all three in one go.
So ensure each dummy Ref ID is distinctly unique to make search & replace easier.

There are many customisation options in AS, so I would advise some experimentation, perhaps using the Family Historian Sample Project, until sure you have them set to your liking.
Otherwise, it may become tedious (but not impossible) to correct your FH entries later.

Don't forget to work through the AS tutorials.
BTW there is an Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin that simplifies invoking AS from FH.

Did you sort out your Diagram Icon problems?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wigansaint
Diamond

Post by wigansaint »

Concentrating on one thing at a time.Will master AS before looking at Expressions etc.