* Ancestral Sources, entering census data (Tutorial)

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
elricks
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Ancestral Sources, entering census data (Tutorial)

Post by elricks »

I am working my way through the tutorial. I get as far as saving and opening the image, then I add the head of the house successfully. The tutorial says -
Select Family Members
To choose the Head of the household, enter the start of the surname (Chi) into the Find Name box above the family names, and select Rupert from the list. Notice that his family is listed under Spouses and Children below.. I do not see his family

It is obvious to me that I will need to see the family of the head, especially as his wife will be listed under the name she was born with.

I have attached a word doc showing my screens. I also removed Rupert, removed the tick from Keep Focus, and added him again, with the same result.

Looking at the image in the tutorial - https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ances ... sus-facts/
I can see Rupert's family should be appearing in 1 or other of the LH panes. Mine do not have his family details.
Attachments
AS screen image ELRICK.jpg
AS screen image ELRICK.jpg (122.62 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources, entering census data (Tutorial)

Post by LornaCraig »

I have moved this topic to the Ancestral Sources forum. It looks like the same issue which was raised in this topic
Spouse, Sibling and Children windows blank (18525).

Nick Walker (the author of AS) may have resolved the problem direct with the other user. I'm sure he will get back to you when he sees this.
Lorna
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I don't think I was ever contacted off-forum by the person in the topic that Lorna referred to. 'Elricks' has emailed me this morning and I've asked her to try the suggestion from this post:viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18637&p=107530#p107530.

When I've seen this issue before (toolbar and menu bar are reversed and the text panels and list boxes are not correctly sized) it has always been related to dpi/scaling issues. Scaling does generally get handled by AS so not sure why there are these occasional reports of glitches. So far the solution of changing the scaling have been acceptable so I've not really investigated this any further but will do if required.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
elricks
Platinum

Post by elricks »

I confirm that this was my issue.

So far I have had to change my scaling back to the default in control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Display (Win7). Doing this fixes the issue.

When my scaling is at 125% my 2 monitor displays are as I want. Fonts and icons are of the size I need. Making the change as required to make AS work means the contents of my screens are too small for my eye comfort. I will be making tests to see of I can eventually get AS to work at the same time my displays are suitable when I use other apps. This may entail changing font sizes individually in each app. The temp work around is to reset my display in Control Panel every time I want to use AS. The reset requires a log off.

If you could see the number of applications and browser windows I have open, with various works in progress, you would understand why this is an issue for me ;-)

In the mean time, consider this issue as closed. Thanks Nick

SHIRLEY