* Can I update AS v5.2 to v7.2? and about FH7

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Famquick
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Can I update AS v5.2 to v7.2? and about FH7

Post by Famquick »

Hello everyone

I have some questions. :)

I'm wondering if the AS program i've got installed (AS v5.2) will change into 7.2? Or how do I make sure it happens like that so they can merge? is there a certain folder the exe file needs to be placed in? I always install exe files from the download folder, but is that wrong?

How do I make sure AS v5.2 and AS v7.2 merge if they can?

Because the exe file doesn't say anything about updating the old one? can they not merge? so that the typed in information (how people and persons relate to one another and other typed in information I've made in AS 5.2) i have in version 5.2 will also be shown in the 7.2 version?

Should i delete AS version 5.2 after downloading AS v7.2? Or does it not matter? I use recording method 1 in all of the templates in AS v5.2 so it should still be useable with FH7 still right? also the census templates i've made myself in AS 5.2 can I make those work in AS 7.2? like putting a backup of the me-made-templates from v5.2 into v7.2?

(I'm trying to understand what I've read in the forums while searching through answers sorry if my questions doesn't make sense)

Kind regards
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Can I update AS v5.2 to v7.2? and about FH7

Post by NickWalker »

Hi

Just download 7.2 to your downloads as usual and install it and it should just automatically upgrade you from 5.2. If you've made your own templates then these should still work but may be a good idea to make a copy of the Ancestral Sources\Settings folder in your Documents folder.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I have downloaded the latest version but it has not ended as a plug in. Instead it is an ikon on my desk top and I prompt everytime I want to use it. It is fixed to my task bar.
When I prompt it I have to add the name I am using. When I used the plug in it went direct using the name I was on in FH.
It would be better if I could update the plug in itself so that it opened on the name I was using in FH.
Once I have searched the name on AS it opens there as it used to do direct from the plug in

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Victor, there are two components:
1) A plugin called Ancestral Sources Data Entry located in the FH Tools > Plugins... list and downloaded from the Calico Pie Family Historian Plugin Store.
2) An installed program application Ancestral Sources by Nick Walker that you download from the FHUG Knowledge Base, etc, and install in much the same way you install the FH program application.

You can run the Ancestral Sources program application directly but must tell it your current Project, etc.

From FH you can run the Ancestral Sources Data Entry plugin that will invoke the Ancestral Sources application with your current Project, Individual, and other options preset.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Mike
As you say I can use AS Data Entry. Trouble I have this is described as version 5 and have not been able to update it to version 7.2.7 which I have as an ikon on my task bar.
Prompting the task bar version a message keeps poping up saying FH has been changed outside AS and asks if I want to continue which I always do.
If I can update the plug in version description to the latest version then I wont need the ikon on the task bar.
Just done a check.
When I open the list of plug in and prompt AS Data Entry it states I am on version 5.0 but when I prompt this it opens to Version 7.2.7 I was being confused by the Version 5.0 description on the plug in.
So will now use this and remove the ikon on ther task bar
Thanks for your reply
Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the two components can each have their own version number.
The current Plugin is v5.0 and the AS application is v7.2.7
It would be annoying if every time AS changed version the Plugin changed version too and you had to download it from the Plugin Store when nothing had changed in the Plugin except its version number!
When there is a significant change in the AS application version the Plugin tells you.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry