* linking photos

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
martin
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

linking photos

Post by martin »

I have copied my FH project, also the folder containing photos to link to records, to my laptop but now find that while the link is still there the photos cannot be seen (just a rectangle crossed through).

Is there a simple way of restoring the full link to each one separately, or better still all at the same time?

Martin

ID:6174
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

linking photos

Post by tatewise »

How did you copy the Project?

On your desktop use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project to say a pen-drive/memory stick?

Then on the laptop use File > Project Window > New Project > Import from other family tree file and Browse to the .fh_proj file on the pen-drive/memory stick.
Continue through the import wizard.

On both your desktop and your laptop use Tools > Work with External File Links and examine the File Links list.
They should start with Project Data Folder - Media to indicate relative file links to the Media folder.
If any start with a drive letter such as C: then you have some absolute file links that will not readily transfer from PC to PC.
Report back here for how to fix them.
martin
Gold

linking photos

Post by martin »

Many thanks for this.  When I follow your instructions I get to 'more tasks' but 'copy project' is in light print, not accessible.  Could this be because of where I keep the project?  All my stored data is in one project which for whatever reason I access through the project icon (three green boxes) and which is in one of my folders in My Documents.  In other words I don't first go into FH to get to it.  When I open FH direct all that is in the projects window is the sample project.  Why this is so is lost in time, don't remember the whys and wherefors.   Is this unconventional and causing me problems?  If so could you help me to put it right please?

For the record the photos which I link to records are kept in a folder in the same overall folder in My Documents.  Should I store this somewhere else?

The file links list starts with C:.

Thanks again Tatewise, Martin
tatewise
Megastar

linking photos

Post by tatewise »

OK, you need to create a Project structure from your data.

Use the New Project button as above, but choose the open a Gedcom option.
Browse to where your .ged file is located and complete the new project wizard.

Then it should appear in the Project Window.

When you get that far, or have problems then post here again.
martin
Gold

linking photos

Post by martin »

Thanks, yes the new project is now in the project window.
Martin
tatewise
Megastar

linking photos

Post by tatewise »

On your desktop use Tools > Work with External File Links and examine the File Links list.
They should all start with Project Data Folder - Media to indicate relative file links to the Media folder.

Now you should be able to follow the earlier instructions to copy the Project to your laptop.

Alternatively, you can simply use Windows Explorer to copy the entire Project Folder from desktop to laptop via say a pen-drive/memory stick.
By Project Folder I mean the folder within My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects that matches your Project Name.

Another alternative, that is popular with users, is to synchronise the desktop and laptop Project Folders via a synchronisation utility such as Dropbox.

Once you are happy that your Project is operational on both PC, and has been safely backed-up, then the original GEDCOM and associated folders and files may be deleted.
martin
Gold

linking photos

Post by martin »

Many thanks for all that advice.  Synchronisation, eg with Dropbox, does seem to offer a far easier solution, completely doing way with the need (in may case) to update both the project folder in my laptop and in my desktop?  But isn't my photos folder 'outside' the project folder?  Does the link to photos still work in Dropbox?
tatewise
Megastar

linking photos

Post by tatewise »

If Tools > Work with External File Links shows all File Links starting with Project Data Folder - Media then all your photos are inside the Media folder.
This Media folder is inside your Project folder:

My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects\Media...

Therefore, when you copy the entire folder, the GEDCOM file, all the Media files, such as photos, and many project settings, go with it.
Dropbox will do the same, but you have to move the entire Project (on both PC) into a different Dropbox folder, and tell FH the Location of that new folder (on both PC).
martin
Gold

linking photos

Post by martin »

OK thanks, I will follow that.  Your earlier advice about keeping the links when copying to the laptop worked fine.  I will have a look at dropbox too.

Thanks again, Martin