* Passenger lists

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mezentia
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Passenger lists

Post by mezentia »

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but, what is the best way to record a fact about an individual and/or a family to show that they travelled from one place to another, and where that information is obtained fom a passenger list? It's not strictly immigration or emmigration, but just a record of a journey they undertook. For example, I have three members of one family that travelled from Shanghai to the UK via the US (or vice versa!), appearing on a California Passenger and Crew List, and listed as in transit. But how to record this fact?

ID:6404
Jane
Site Admin

Passenger lists

Post by Jane »

mezentia
Superstar

Passenger lists

Post by mezentia »

Thanks, Jane, it's a start.

However, if you look at the Sailed from fact, is it possible to set up a field to hold the name of the ship, so that I can create a sentence of the form:

'He sailed from Shanghai, China, on 19 October 1941 on the SS President Coolidge.'

I appreciate I can use the place and address fields, but these don't seem appropriate, and I may want to use them for their proper purpose anyway, e.g.

'He sailed from Tilbury docks in Greenwich, London on the SS Calypso ...'

It would also be useful to add the destination, e.g.

'He sailed from Tilbury docks in Greenwich, London on the SS Calypso bound for Ellis Island, New York, USA ...'

If we also have an intermediate point (as is the case for my relative who promted this question), it would ne nice to be able to say:

'He sailed from Shanghai, China on the SS Calypso on 9 October 1941, bound for London, England, calling on route at California on the 18 October 1941)'

requiring at least two dates, three places and/or addresses, and a vessel name!

Not much to ask, surely? [wink]
tatewise
Megastar

Passenger lists

Post by tatewise »

You can either add what you want to say in the Note and add {note} to the Sentence Template, or you can simply customise the Sentence Template in that particular Fact to say whatever you like.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Passenger lists

Post by AdrianBruce »

In my personal view the Note is exactly where the sort of information you mention should go. After all, you forgot to add the name of the shipping line, the captain's name, the number of pieces of luggage... [wink]

There's a fine line between putting something in the note and in the attribute value, and the line isn't in the same place for everyone. For instance, you could create a user-defined attribute 'Travel on ship' where the value of the attribute could be the name of the ship; the location could be the place of departure and the date similarly. That's probably about as complex as you can go given the limits of the GEDCOM format, except that the value of the attribute could actually be a phrase combining the names of the ship and line together, instead of just the ship.

But if you use the event's note (and if not, why not?), then why fill up the attribute value with a compound phrase? Well, one thing to note is that it's easier to interrogate and see an attribute value in a query than a note. Possibly not much difference on finding a specific value but a lot of difference in seeing it. But, if you don't think you're going to be doing regular searches on intermediate calling points, why not just stick them in the note?

So, in summary, if you think you're going to be doing frequent queries on ship names, consider a user-defined attribute containing the ship name. If not, stick it in the note for the event, along with the rest of the stuff.