* Entering unknown relatives

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
amateur
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Entering unknown relatives

Post by amateur »

I cannot find out the parentage of  3 out of the 7  people in my husband's great great grandfathers grave They share his surname and presumably are related.  How can I enter them in FH.   No doubt the answers as to their ancestry will be discovered eventually, and I will then be able to update the records

ID:7018
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Post by gerrynuk »

That is a lot of people in one grave. It suggests that they may be his siblings or his children who died in infancy. What dates are shown?

You could do the research before entering the names or you could enter them as unrelated people and link them up when you find out how they are related.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

To enter as unrelated people use Insert > New Individual.

To show some association between these people and your husband's great great grandfather you could use the Associated Person feature.

In the great great grandfather Property Box select the All tab.
Right-click on the person's Name, and choose Miscellaneous > Add Associated Person > Add Link to Existing Individual Record then select one of the new individuals.

Repeat the above for each new individual.

Also select each new individual Property Box and associate with the great great grandfather, because the associations are one way only.

Unfortunately, by default, these association links only appear in the All tab or on expanded details in the Records Window, and NOT in Diagrams or Reports.
However, Diagrams and Reports may be customised to include the associations.

Later versions of FH allow the Property Box to be customised with for example an Associations tab to list every such Associated Person.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry