* projects and ged com files

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ruthhenrietta
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

projects and ged com files

Post by ruthhenrietta »

I've got myself in a muddle with adding new info. to a gedcom file, and the information isn't now in my project file (prior to this the project file was the most up to date version of my research)... they both have exactly the same name... why isn't the project file showing the updated information? Why are they different if they have the same name? Help please!!

ID:6487
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I presume you have moved your gedcom out of your project folder or copied it.

I would recommend merging your file back in to the correct one, by opening the Project and then selecting File>Merge compare and selecting the file you have been working on.

Once you have merged them, delete or rename your non project file so you don't get in a muddle again.

If you need to make a copy always use the Copy Project Option and do not move files around inside the Project folder, unless you understand exactly how the project structure works.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

Post by ruthhenrietta »

Hi Jane - thanks for your reply - I thought I'd managed to merge the file into the project, and also I merged two projects together. I thought it had all gone OK, but I now get this pop up box(see text below) if I open the Project; The info. report says there are 11 duplicate records, but in my project there aren't any duplicate IDs, so I'm confused... Can you help again?

Pop up box text:
This GEDCOM file contains one or more sets of duplicate record ids, which means that the file as a whole is effectively corrupt. If possible you should avoid using it. An exception report will be generated that will list all the duplicate record ids in the files. If you have no choice and have to use this file, you should do the following. 1) Print Exception Report 2) Use info. from report to locate all records, of all record types which had a duplicate id and delete all of theme .
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I am not sure how you managed to get duplicates, personally I would revert your backup prior to the merge and try the process again.

I assume you used the normal merge/compare option in Family Historian to merge the projects?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

Post by ruthhenrietta »

It's OK - I've worked it out - realised that the duplicates referred to multimedia and source records - so have deleted duplicates... all sorted...