* saving data on external hard drive

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
lovelace
Gold
Family Historian: V5

saving data on external hard drive

Post by lovelace »

I have an external hard drive (Intenso) which works fine for saving texts or photos, a safeguard against my computer crashing. The main reason I bought it was to save all my Family History data so that when we visit our scattered family I can show everything to them - also, a safeguard against computer failure.
But I can't get it to accept the data. I tried going to My Computer - C-drive - all folders - then copying Family History and pasting it into Intenso, but that didn't work, it was gobbledygook on my husband's computer. Surely this is a common practice, an external back-up? How do I do it?

ID:6735
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

NO, you cannot copy any installed programs such as FH, or MS Word, or Adobe Reader, that way.
You must install the program (i.e. FH) on the other PC in the same way you installed it on your PC originally.

BUT you must only install such programs if you have a bought licence for the other PC, otherwise it is illegal.
Except of course for free software.

FH allows a copy to be installed on two PC provided only one is used at a time.

There is the FH 30-day free trial that you can install temporarily on any PC.

What you can copy onto the external HDD is your Family Historian Projects folder of FH GEDCOM data.
This can then be transferred from PC to PC using various media.
Provided you have genuine Projects you can use the FH File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project command.

Another way to present your FH data is to create a Family Tree CD/DVD format on say a pen-drive, which can also include Diagrams and Reports.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lovelace
Gold

Post by lovelace »

Many thanks for the advice ... I'll try it in due course. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hand the results of my research - including old photos - onto my children and grandchildren, via their computers.
lovelace
Gold

Post by lovelace »

I followed your advice re saving data ... Went to File - Project Window - More Tasks ... but then the 'copy project' option was not in dark type, i.e unobtainable. Why is that?
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

That may be because you have not clicked on the relevant project.  The various More Tasks... are not restricted to the Current Project, but can be used for any project in the list.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You first need to select your Project Name from the Family Historian Projects list, otherwise FH does not know which Project you want to Copy.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lovelace
Gold

Post by lovelace »

Thank you again, Mike - I'm afraid I'm not a good student and despite more effort I eventually resorted to contacting Jane who 'invaded' my screen and put things to rights. It looked so simple when someone else was doing it! But I'm very grateful to the Forum for the support and now look forward to getting stuck into my piles of paper records and getting them online. Sorry I can't help you with Tate or Scott families, best wishes, Susan