* Epub version of Getting Started guide

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Dereks
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Epub version of Getting Started guide

Post by Dereks » 03 May 2013 23:39

Does anyone know if there is there an Epub version of the Getting the most from Family Historian 5 pdf document that is supplied with the software.  I'd like to have a copy of this on my E-book reader. The e-Book reader I use does support pdf documents but the formatting doesn't make it easy to read.

ID:6921

BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by BillH » 04 May 2013 03:07

Derek,

You could convert it from PDF to ePub format.  I use an excellent program called Calibre which will do this and much more for electronic books of many formats.  I'm sure there are other programs as well.

Bill

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 04 May 2013 07:12

PDF to ePub even with Calibre is a real challenge and even the Calibre author says don't start with a PDF if you want a reflowable document.

Don't forget that a lot of eReaders like both Sony and Kindle can read PDF's natively.

If you really want to do this conversion then my advice would be to convert the PDF to HTML and then use something like Jutoh or Sigil to then convert it to ePub. Be prepared for several hours work though.

Dereks
Gold

Post by Dereks » 05 May 2013 09:41

Thanks for the ideas /suggestions Bill and Valkrider...I'll give it ago but if it's takes more than an hour I'll stick to my paper copy [smile]

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 05 May 2013 19:52

If you want to send me a PM with your email address I will send you a rough and ready ePub conversion

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 10 May 2013 10:39

I have just added proper EPUB and MOBI versions of the Getting the Most book on to the Knowledge base.

My thanks to Simon at Calico Pie for letting me have the Word version of the book so I could convert it to a better format for ebooks.

http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:index
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 10 May 2013 17:39

Jane & Simon, thanks for that much better than my rough and ready one.