* HTML Media Files with Anchors

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
PaulDesmondWhite
Diamond
Family Historian: None

HTML Media Files with Anchors

Post by PaulDesmondWhite »

Why do I always want something different???

I'm using HTML documents for more things nowadays and thought I'd try using them in FH to store narrative about individuals (especially private notes).

Already I have some MS Word documents for various branches of the family (one surname at a time) and it is really easy to re-save them as HTML.

Linking one into FH is a piece of cake (dare I say it: 'of course'), BUT...

I'd like to be able to use the same document, referenced as necessary by the different individuals within it. And when you 'play' the media file it should open at the relevant individual's entry.

Now it's easy enough to add suitable anchors in the document, like , but naturally i'd like to amend the FH URL to append '#Maria 1891-1926'.

Would that be a big problem?

Paul

ID:7049
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

At the moment there is no way to navigate around using a plugin so I don't think you can force FH to go to a record programatically.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
PaulDesmondWhite
Diamond

Hmmm, gets me thinking, Jane (very bad thing).

As far as I can tell, FH doesn't have any hyperlinking capability whatsoever. Or am I wrong?

Now *wouldn't* it be nice if source citations could include a link field, most usually (perhaps) to a web site. Rather a neat way to pop up a view of pictures and stuff that would violate copyright if downloaded.

Anyway, g'night.

Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Now that you can do with FH using Windows Shortcuts.

See the how_to:v4:adding_multimedia|: Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia.

Basically it involves creating a Windows Shortcut link to the web site URL and add this Windows Shortcut file to a Multimedia Record.

Referring back to your earlier request, since the URL in the Windows Shortcut can be any valid format, it can include anchor tag names.
So simply append # followed by the tag name to the end of the URL.
e.g.
http://www.website.com/page.html#name

Unfortunately, I have NOT found a way of doing the same with locally stored HTML files.

Also note that as well as clicking the red triangular Open Editor/Player button, you can double-click the media icon.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PaulDesmondWhite
Diamond

Dark and dirty places...

Agreed, Mike, there seems to be no way to alter a Windows .lnk file to point to a specific anchor. And there's certainly no problem making it work for .url shortcuts.

The difficulty is, FH 'multimedia' is totally file orientated in contrast to the GEDCOM 5.5 object structures that permit a host of types including URL (or WWW) and EMAIL.

Interestingly, FH does not complain about an OBJE tag with FORM WWW or URL. It just says it can't find that object if we insert FILE http://www.fhug.org.uk.

Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You point regarding GEDCOM EMAIL and WWW tags needs some explanation.

Firstly, they only were added to the Draft Release 5.5.1 in 1999 that has never been adopted.

Secondly, they only apply as components of the ADDRess field, and NOT OBJEct records.

FH implements them as custom tags _EMAIL and _WEB.

Nevertheless, there is no significant change, as far as file linked media is concerned, in the later GEDCOM specification versus the current 1995 specification.

The FORMat field appears to be informational only as far as FH is concerned.
The _FILE field only ever contains Windows Filepath details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PaulDesmondWhite
Diamond

OK, Mike, thanks.