* Step Son showing in Descendants

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
JohnT
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Step Son showing in Descendants

Post by JohnT »

I have called my descendants list in version 6.2.7 and my step son has been included.
He is also shown as son in individual files - His profile window clearly shows that i am not his father.
Any ideas as to why this has happened?

Thanks in advance.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Step Son showing in Descendants

Post by tatewise »

By default, FH does not differentiate between blood relatives and step, foster, or adoptive relationships.
Anyway, unless you have definitive DNA/blood proof, you cannot be 100% sure that blood relatives really are such.

The parent Relationship details can identify the relationship to each parent, and multiple parents are allowed.

Those details can be displayed more prominently or used to customise Diagrams and Reports in various ways.
Can you give more specific details about the descendants list you mentioned. Was that produced by a Query?

Please explain how you have recorded the stepson/stepfather relationship and how you would prefer that relationship to be displayed. I think that if there is no direct relationship between you and your stepson then he is not shown as your son, but only the son of your wife and his birth father.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JohnT
Silver

Post by JohnT »

Thanks Mike for the reply.
Please explain how you have recorded the stepson/stepfather relationship and how you would prefer that relationship to be displayed. I think that if there is no direct relationship between you and your stepson then he is not shown as your son, but only the son of your wife and his birth father.
My step son is linked to his deceased birth father and his mother. In FH query All individuals he is shown as my son.
As an aside I have recently had info regarding my father who is not my birth father, I have created an Unknown for my birth father; FH has picked this up and now my siblings are shown as half siblings.
So I don't understand the step son issue.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In the All Individuals standard Query, the Relationship to Root column shows the relationship to the File Root person.
I assume that your Individual record is the File Root and not your wife's Individual record.
If your wife is the File Root then your stepson will be shown in the Query correctly as her son.

If you are the File Root then...
In the Property Box of your wife (your stepson's mother), there are two Spouse: tabs for his deceased father and for you.
On the deceased Father's tab, you say the son is correctly in the Children: list.
But on your tab is he also included in the Children: list for you and your wife (his mother)?
If so then that is why in the Query he is shown as your son.
Otherwise, he will be shown in the Query as your wife's son.

What is shown in the Query if you set your stepson as the File Root?
Are you shown as his mother's husband or as his father?
JohnT
Silver

Post by JohnT »

Thanks again.
If I assume that your Individual record is the File Root and not your wife's Individual record.
Yes this is corectl
But on your tab is he also included in the Children: list for you and your wife (his mother)?
Yes this is also correct.
What is shown in the Query if you set your stepson as the File Root? Are you shown as his mother's husband or as his father?
I am shown as his father, He has a half sibling who is shown as sister. I also have two other children from a previous marriage and they show as half siblings.
Confusing or what?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Well, it depends on what data relationships you enter!

You entered your birth father as Unknown and on his tab included yourself on his Children: list.
However, on your 'surrogate' father's tab you are NOT included on his Children: list.
Those relationships are shown as you desire.

However, your stepson is included on both his birth father's tab Children: list AND on your tab Childrens: list.
So both his birth father and you are recorded as his father.
If you remove him from your Children: list and leave him on just his birth father's list then their relationships will be similar to your relationships with your two fathers, which is what you desire.

i.e. The general rule is to only include birth children in the Children: list of their birth parents.
If you do that consistently, then the relationships will be consistent.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Miketate,
It is an easy trap to fall into. and often occurs when you add children from censuses, not realising the father has married again between censuses, so some children end up hanging from wrong parents. Post 1837 it pays to check GRO entries for every child to confirm correct parents have been assigned. Made dificult when brothers marry sisters, but that's another problem :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
JohnT
Silver

Post by JohnT »

@Miketate
If you remove him from your Children: list and leave him on just his birth father's list then their relationships will be similar to your relationships with your two fathers, which is what you desire.
Thanks Mike, I have just deleted the child link and my step son now shows as wife's son.
I appreciate your help.

One last thing how do I show the issue has been resolved in the forum? :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Your last posting has done that. There is no formal sign-off.
JohnT
Silver

Post by JohnT »

Thanks.
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 15 Aug 2022 20:35 Your last posting has done that. There is no formal sign-off.
Back link to discussion about curating "solved issues".
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)