* Re connecting Media Images

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re connecting Media Images

Post by E Wilcock »

Although I have used fh for years for research databases, I am only now starting to use it for my own family trees previously in TMG.
I am having trouble showing the pictures.
My fh pictures were linked in fh Version 6 to the pics on my C drive.
Since then I have upgraded to fh 7 and in Feb 2020 to a computer which has the images (and other user data) on the D drive, although in the same folders as previously.
I cannot work out how to restore the links to the media. They currently show up as a list not found because the path remains to the C drive.
I am sure there used to be a single place where one could instruct fh where to look for the pics.
Or do I need to change each individually?
Or should I move the pics to the C drive.
I do not want to keep my many pics inside the fh folder. I always link to an external file.

I am sorry to be so stupid but I would like some help. There is no problem with source or census images downloaded from the net.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Re connecting Media Images

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

On the main menu choose Tools and then External File Links...

You'll be shown a 'tree' of your file (media) links and where they are pointing. Broken links will have a red cross next to them.

You have two options:

1. Click on the button saying 'Auto Repair Links'. From the Help:
This button will prompt Family Historian to attempt to find missing media files and fix any 'broken' links. This can be a slow process, but a progress dialog is displayed so you can stop the search at any time if you wish. The search will begin with the current project folder, and ripple outwards from the current project, eventually including other fixed drives on your PC if necessary (and if there are any). The search will stop automatically when all missing files are found. As well as finding missing files, this function will also check if links to media files in the media subfolder of the project folder are setup as they should be, and will automatically fix the links if necessary.
As long as your photos are each only present once on your system, this should work, and it's the best option if only some media links are broken. If that isn't the case, please ask again before doing anything, or use the following option.

2. Select the entry near the top of the tree that is where FH is currently looking for your media (C:\something\something\something, etc) and click on the button saying Re-Map... Choose the option to Re-Map to Other Location, and when prompted select the folder on your D: drive under which all your media is stored.
This button allows you to re-map any link to a file onto the file's actual location (if the file is not where it is supposed to be). But more than that it allows you to select any target folder(folder which is included as part of the targeting for any number of links) and re-map this folder onto the correct location. For example, if you 're-map' the folder 'Pictures' from within folder' C:\Media' to within folder 'C:\Family Historian\Media', then all file links which previously had stored file names that began 'C:\Media\Pictures\…' will now store file names that begin 'C:\Family Historian\Media\Pictures\…'.
[snip] It also allows you to map links to locations outside the current Project Data Folder, to inside it, and vice versa.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Re connecting Media Images

Post by E Wilcock »

Helen, thank you.
I keep multiple Projects but will take this one tree at a time. Looking at my paternal Gollin tree, the links seem fine
But the pics of each person are not always showing on the focus window. Some are and some are not.
If I open the fh sample project, the pics are there on the focus window.
If I open my Rosenheim tree all the pics show correctly. And I see from the list that the path is correctly linked to the D:/ drive. And it is the same with my husband's tree.
I think at some point when I was moving old scans of pictures to the new computer, not everything has been moved to the D drive.
Or when travelling with a lap top (no D drive) I decided to go on using C:/
In other words it is inconsistent of me.
I will try and sort it out following your suggestions. Thank you very much.