* Family Group Sheet page breaks

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Little.auk
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Family Group Sheet page breaks

Post by Little.auk »

I want to create Family Group Sheet reports for four generations of my Family Tree (30 reports total), but I have a problem with page breaks occurring in the middle of "Child" records, which doesn't look tidy, in some cases the break creates an "orphan" record of a single line.

I migrated to FH from Family Tree Maker, which has an option to ensure this doesn't happen, but I can't find this facility in the FH report options.

I presume that my only solution is to save the reports as rtf files and manually edit them in Word - a bit of a slog as some reports are 4 pages long.

Can someone confirm that my presumption is correct before I start.

Thanks
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Family Group Sheet page breaks

Post by tatewise »

I think you are talking about what Word calls 'widows and orphans' that are single leading and trailing lines of a paragraph that exist on page separated from the remainder of the paragraph.
Unfortunately, FH reports have no such prevention mechanism so RTF is the only solution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I do something similar, where I create a pdf document of a family and their descendants (the Family Group Sheet for the main family, and the Family Group Sheets for each of their children, combined into one document).

I started going via RTF in the early days of FH7, when it had problems printing pdf documents, but have stuck with it as I like the formatting flexibility that is possible in Word.

I have a formatting macro in my master Word template that does much of the tidying up automatically. The main thing it controls is stopping the various tables that the RTF uses to keep alignment from breaking between pages. Ideally, I would also like it to insert "keep with next" paragraph formatting where appropriate to stop these untidy breaks, such as keeping an image and its caption together, or ensuring titles don't get stranded at the end of the page. My gut feeling is that all of this is possible, but it's many years since I did any serious VBA programming, and I struggle with some of the more complex conditional formatting.
Mark Draper
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

I have a similar issue where for example the details of a burial (plot / who with, added in the 'note') appear on a new page, leaving only the cemetery name on the previous page. I have therefore either added some extra detail to or removed some text from one of the other entries to address the problem - but only where the entry is 2 lines in total, anything longer I have decided to leave as it comes.
Deirdre