* Query: Sources linked to Individuals, using Named List

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jean001
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Query: Sources linked to Individuals, using Named List

Post by Jean001 »

I want to create a query listing all the sources linked to individuals in a named list. In turn, those sources will be added to a named list.

I am familiar with using named lists (adding to a list from the results of a query, using named lists in query Rows, etc.).

I have been able to adapt 'Sources for a Given Record', adding Row lines for each individual (e.g. Add if =LinksFrom(Record(4429,"I"),,EXT) is greater than 0). However, that is tedious and open to error (mistyping the record ID). (The 'Select Record' process of the original query still occurs although I have deleted the original 'Add if =LinksFrom(["Record"],,EXT) is greater than 0'.)

I have looked at the old Plugin 'Sources List for Individual' but that returns sources for just one individual. Also, when adding the selected cell records to a named list, only the Individual and Family records are added, no Source records.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Jean
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Query: Sources linked to Individuals, using Named List

Post by tatewise »

As you have discovered, it is virtually impossible to use a Query to find all the Source records cited by Individual records.
The problem is that Citations can be attached to the whole record, Name fields, Fact fields, etc.

The Where Used Record Links plugin will list where all Source records are cited, but then filtering the results to only include Individuals in a Named List is tricky.

It should be feasible to adapt Sources List for Individual to work through a selection of Individual records.
( It is currently only listed as working for FH V5 & V6, however it does seem to work for FH V7 too. )
Potentially, the Source column should allow the Source records to be added to a Named List, but the column actually contains pointers to Citations and not Source records, which is why it does not work.

Could you explain the purpose of the exercise, and we may be able to suggest an alternative method.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

Thank you Mike.

I'm working on a project for my late uncle's family (uncle by marriage to me).

My aim was to produce a report based around a family group which lists all their events as a single 'diary'. In effect, one timeline covering multiple people. Each report may cover the events of a wider family group, not just the people linked to a family record (this latter was my starting point of this exercise). I will be doing this for each of my uncle's ancestor families (i.e. all his 'pedigree' families).

The report work is done (a highly customised report picking up text mainly from a 2nd Source Note (%SOUR.NOTE2[2]%)), and the system works well. The text is exported outside of FH for DTP purposes.

As I added a source, I included a code/codes in the Source Record (one Source Record may pertain to one or several family groups). I run a query for all sources containing a particular code and save those sources to a named list. I then run my report using that named list. The report then extracts the text I require. Works well and is quick.

I like the way the report turns out and would like to adopt the same system for my own tree. So I am now hoping to 'automate' the 'code' part of the process. That is, to not to have to go through all the sources to add the codes.

My customised 'Sources for a Given Record' query does list the sources for multiple people, but I had to enter the INDI Record ID manually for each person. That will, of course, mean a separate saved query for each group of people. I'd prefer to have one query that could use a named list of people.

I do attach all sources concerning an individual to the whole record, as well as, of course, to other relevant areas of the individual's record.

I am a splitter of sources.
Jean
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have adapted the Sources List for Individual plugin to work through a selection of Individual records.
It is attached as Sources List for Selected Individuals plugin Version 0.1 Date 14 Jun 2022.

In the Select Records dialogue, the Named Lists tab can be used to choose records listed therein.

As in the original plugin, the Result Set lists not only Source Citations for each Individual record but also for each Family record in which that Individual is a Spouse/Partner. Those are identified by Data Ref cells starting with FAM instead of INDI.

The Result Set has additional columns to identify each Individual and their Rec Id plus another Rec Id column on the right that lists the Source Rec Id and also links to the Source Record itself.
Select the cells in this righthand Rec Id column and use the cog Query Menu > Add Selected Cell Records to Name List to add the Source Records to any Named List.

How do you intend to add the codes you mentioned to those Source Records?
Is there anything the plugin could do to automate that process?
Last edited by tatewise on 02 Feb 2024 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed - there are later versions too
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

Thank you Mike. That was just what I wanted. It will be a great time-saver for me.

The 'Data Ref' and 'Field' Columns of the query are useful too.

I no longer need to add any codes (it was the Family Rec ID/IDs) to the Source Record as the plugin picks up all the linked sources, and now I can add those sources in bulk to the Named List, from which I generate the report.

I have tested the process on my pre-existing data and it works perfectly. For my own use, I do not need to create a 2nd Source Note2, %SOUR.NOTE2[2]%, but have changed my report to use 'Text from Source'.

Thank you again.
Jean