* Second screen display problem

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Linda Reinfeld
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Second screen display problem

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

My configuration is a laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad with a Samsung screen attached. In order to see a lot of data at once I usually run FH on the attached screen.

When moving from tab to tab on the main screen (main tab then facts tab) the following happens:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (75.65 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
To fix it I move the 3 little dots to the left of the screen.

I do not have this problem with any other software.
If I move FH to my laptop screen I do not have this problem.
It may be a windows problem, but if so it is created by FH.

Linda

PS can you see I have already modified my facts screen?
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Second screen display problem

Post by Jane »

Try going to the Lenovo site and updating your graphics card drivers.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It may be the Lenovo graphics card drivers or alternatively did the Samsung monitor come with its own interface card and drivers that may need updating. Do you have a local computer repair shop that may offer advice?

I get the impression that FH does stretch some graphics features.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Seeing if reducing your screen resolution helps will point the finger at your graphics system just not coping.

Others can tell you how to do that on Windows - I suspect Control Panel (or is that showing my age?)
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Linda Reinfeld
Famous

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

Thanks for the replies.

I am not good at updating systems things. I think (!) I updated a driver, but it didn't help.

I know how to fix/rearrange the screen. When I get too annoyed, I shall go to a local computer shop.

Thanks again -

Linda
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

It may not be helpful, given your comment about drivers, but I had much the same problem some years ago using monitors of different resolutions, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14147, and that problem followed an automatic display driver update by Windows 10. The solution was to roll back the update and to prevent Windows automatic updating device drivers.

Just for information here is how to find out about recent Driver Updates. (Please note I am not suggesting that you take any action yourself but it might point towards a cause of the problem.)

Open Windows Settings (the gear icon on the Start Menu) then Windows Update (bottom of the list) and in the right hand screen click Update History. The history divides the updates into various categories and you are looking for the heading 'Driver Updates' if there are any there will be a bracketed number at the end of 'Driver Updates'. Selecting the Driver Updates heading will then open a list and each update will have an installation date. For example I have an Intel Display update installed on 7 May. If any of the dates line up with your problem starting then that may be the cause of it.

David
uMvemve
Family Historian: V6

Post by uMvemve »

I had exactly this problem, (I'm on FH version 7.0.11), but with an ASUS laptop, connected to a Samsung TV the same as you. I've connected via HDMI. I bought a new laptop last October and didn't notice this problem until I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a month or so later, though I don't know if that was what caused it.
To try to fix it, I did a lot of fiddling with the Windows display settings, and it's been fine for two months now. I can't promise that what I did was what fixed it, but If you feel up to it, try the following.

Start by moving the property box on to display 1, the laptop.
Then run the windows settings app "duplicate or extend to a connected display", with the TV connected. I can't remember how to run it on Windows 10, but on 11 you hit the Windows key and type
duplicate or extend to a connected display
and hit enter.
Tell Windows to "show only on 1", using the pull down menu on the right.
Then change it back to "Extend these displays", using the same pull-down menu.
Also, change the extended display "Scale" setting to 125%, if it isn't already 125 (there's a pull-down menu labelled "Scale" further down the same screen).
Move the property box back to the TV. Mine was OK after this.

I don't know if it's a FH problem or Windows 11.
I hope this helps.

Regards,
Keith