* Adding text to a diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Korty
Family Historian: V7

Adding text to a diagram

Post by Korty »

I must be doing something wrong?

I want to add a title to a diagram. I have inserted a text box but it won't allow me to add any text to the box. I am sure it's something simple. I never had problems when I used FH a few years ago.

Any ideas please?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Adding text to a diagram

Post by LornaCraig »

After inserting the box you need to right-click in it and choose Format (or just double-click in the box). You can then type text in the Text tab, as well as choose the font and size of text, alignment and margins.
Lorna
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

LornaCraig wrote: 20 May 2022 18:25 After inserting the box you need to right-click in it and choose Format (or just double-click in the box). You can then type text in the Text tab, as well as choose the font and size of text, alignment and margins.
I have never added a title to a diagram, but have to say that method is counter intuitive!
In most applications if you add a text box EG Word/Excel/Paint etc as soon as you create the text box it is live and you immediately start typing with opportunity to format it for font, size, colour etc.
I can totally understand why the OP posted this!
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

It may have been set up this way so that it is consistent with the behaviour of other elements of a diagram. For inserted lines, shapes and pictues, as well as text boxes, a single right-click opens a menu of options, one of which is Format, and a double click opens a Format dialog directly. Similarly a right-click on an individual's box in the diagram opens a Format dialog. It's just that with a text box (and a pie shape with text) one of the things you do with formatting is the wording of the text itself.

(Incidentally I still have a very old copy of Paint Shop Pro which works this way when you want to insert text.)
Lorna
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Oddly enough, I think I prefer it the way that FH does it. I've just tried adding text boxes in Excel and FH and the first thing I do is give the box the right placement, size and shape. Only then do I start wanting to add text. Mind you, I think that Excel gave the opportunity to type first, even though I ignored it. I guess we all have different mental maps of the order to do things.

As for invoking the text insertion, I'd long forgotten how to do it - when doing that trial, I just double clicked and got the text entry facility. I didn't know that it would give me text entry, but it's always a good thing to do in FH - double click it. Again, it's just how your mental map works.
Adrian
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

neil40 wrote: 21 May 2022 08:28 I have never added a title to a diagram, but have to say that method is counter intuitive!
In most applications if you add a text box EG Word/Excel/Paint etc as soon as you create the text box it is live and you immediately start typing with opportunity to format it for font, size, colour etc.
I can totally understand why the OP posted this!
I tend to agree. I could understand if the right click option was ‘Edit’, as one is editing the text, but not ‘Format’, which seems to imply one is formatting the text, e.g. changing font/size of text, or adding bold or underline.
I too was caught out by this, and took.me a while to figure it out :|
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com