* Questions from TMG Refugee

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
cjdenbow
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Re: Questions from TMG Refugee

Post by cjdenbow »

Mike,

I followed your step-by-step instructions and replaced all of the Place entries with either Text or URL as relevant. However, I'm now stuck on the next procedure -- deleting multiple records.

The link you provided says the following:

"Copy all the records you want to delete to a Named List (create a new one if necessary).
When you have put together a list of the exact individual or other records you want to delete, select that List and use Lists > Delete Named List Records. This will delete all records in that list."

Unfortunately, I'm stuck on step 1. I can easily find and highlight the records I want to delete in the Place list; however, I can't figure out how to copy them (doesn't it actually mean "move"?) to a Named List, or anywhere else. In fact, my novice level expertise in FH is such that I can't figure out how to either create a "Named List" or move anything to it. There are several options on the right of the Place List but none of them are copy or move, and a right click on the highlighted items does not bring up an alternate menu of any sort. So, please point me in the right direction! I very much appreciate your previous help. It was tedious, but I got it all done!

Carl
Carl Jón Denbow, Ph.D., Director of Communication Emeritus, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, Ohio https://www.denbowtree.org My avatar is the battle flag of the 78th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the U.S. Civil War.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The FHUG Knowledge Base Named Lists advice explains everything.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
cjdenbow
Diamond

Post by cjdenbow »

OK, thanks, Mike. I got it done, but boy was that a convoluted process. Having to open a Named List that you didn't want, like Bookmarks, in order to access the menu allowing you to create a new list seemed awkward at best. But all's well that ends well, I guess!
Carl Jón Denbow, Ph.D., Director of Communication Emeritus, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, Ohio https://www.denbowtree.org My avatar is the battle flag of the 78th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the U.S. Civil War.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You don't have to create the new Named List first, although admittedly the section in the Knowledge Base under 'Adding Records to a List' suggests that you do. (Perhaps this should be clarified.) You can just select the records you want to add to the list and then use Edit > Add to Named List. You will then be prompted to enter the name of a new list.

As it says in the Help files, "..... you can add records to a new Named List at any time, in any window, by selecting the records you wish to add and clicking on Add to Named List on the Edit menu. If you type in the name of a new Named List it will be created for you."
Lorna
cjdenbow
Diamond

Post by cjdenbow »

OK, I have another refugee question. When I create a website using John Cardinal's GedSite program, I've discovered that every birth of is listed so that the screen of a person is cluttered with "she witnessed the birth of son/daughter John Doe." This is useless duplication since the children are listed separately, and everyone knows that a mother witnesses the birth of her child. This apparently comes from importing citations on relationships. I could have chosen not to import that data, but I've already crossed that Rubicon. Any suggestions about how to get rid of this clutter? Perhaps, this is a question for John Cardinal, terms of GedSite, but I thought I'd start her to see what suggestions folks might have. Thanks for any help that you can give me. Perhaps fellow TMG refugees can be help here.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Carl - I'm guessing the best route would be removal of these witness links in FH and I'm sure somebody with more knowledge of FH will be able to offer suggestions (or tell you it can't be easily done!), but in the meantime, have you checked what Roles you have set up against the Tag Type "Birth" in GedSite?.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The attached All Facts with Witness Role query will list facts where any of the first three Fact Witnesses have a Role that matches the user prompt.

Select all the Fact Witness names in any one column that have a matching Role and hit the Delete key or use Edit > Delete to remove those Fact Witnesses.
Take care not to select any that have a blank Role because they do NOT match.

The query may need to be run again to check for all matching Roles.

If it is possible that matching Roles exist beyond the 3rd Fact Witness then the Query will need extending.
Attachments
All Facts with Witness Role.fhq
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
cjdenbow
Diamond

Post by cjdenbow »

Thanks, Mike, this seemed to have solved the problem!

BTW, did you get the PM I sent a few weeks about about Devon genealogy?

Carl
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I did, but my wife and I retired here some years ago and have no family connections with the area.

I have updated the Query with a 'safer' version that only lists matching Witness Roles with cells that can delete them.
The Result Set 'blank' cells, if selected, do not delete anything.
Attachments
All Facts with Witness Role.fhq
Version 2 Date 28 Jun 2022
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 34 times