* Is there a way to show a source/citation tree?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ennoborg
Family Historian: V7

Is there a way to show a source/citation tree?

Post by ennoborg »

Hello all,

I'm a new forum user from The Netherlands, using a trial key, to see whether it's worth it to migrate from Gramps to FH 7, and one aspect that I'm looking at is the records view. I like that a lot, because it gives me an overview of what I have in my database, and it seems to offer similar categories as we have in Gramps. And I write 'we', because I'm also a developer.

When I look at the Source Records tab, it looks a lot like the Sources category in Gramps, except that I don't see a way to see the citations that are associated with a particular source. I see that I can expand a source to see its properties, and I can also see the number of links, which are all links to citations, but I don't see a way to look at the actual citations, and that part is quite essential for me.

Is there a path that I missed? When I try to configure the columns, I can see that I can add a Data Reference, which is nice, but it seems that that reference can only be pointed to a column in the Source table itself. Is that right?

What I'd love to see is either a way to expand the links, or a way to show the associated citations as a list on the right of my screen, in the Named List Pane.

Regards,

Enno
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Is there a way to show a source/citation tree?

Post by jbtapscott »

If you select the Source record in the Source Records tab, you can then use the menu option View / Citations to Source Record... to see the Citations associated with that Source record.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Enno,

There is also a Plugin https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ted-source that you might want to try experimenting with.

Mervyn
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

P.S As a developer, if you want to see how to develop your own plugins any of the ones from the store are in open code so you look and customise the source code if you want to.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ennoborg

Post by ennoborg »

jbtapscott wrote: 18 May 2022 14:01 If you select the Source record in the Source Records tab, you can then use the menu option View / Citations to Source Record... to see the Citations associated with that Source record.
Aha, thanks, I missed that. I only tried the context menu, and I didn't see it there.