* Addition of death of deceased spouse in narrative reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
libertygenealogist
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Addition of death of deceased spouse in narrative reports

Post by libertygenealogist »

I would like a sentence added in the narrative reports after the marriage fact sentence for other spouses to indicate the death of the spouse which ended that marriage. I have seen this in other genealogy software reports.

Something like this:

1. John Smith, son of Jacob Smith and Mary Smith, was born on January 1, 1900 in Atlanta, Fulton, Georgia. He married Susan Jones on June 1, 1920 in Atlanta, Georgia. They were divorced. He married Lucy Wright on December 1, 1922 in Macon, Bibb, Georgia.

2. Lucy Wright, daughter of Charles Wright and Rebecca Daniels, was born on February 1, 1898 in Macon, Georgia. She married George Williams on March 1, 1920 in Macon, Georgia. George died on September 1, 1921 in Macon, Georgia.

I have tried to figure out how to add this myself based on fields already available, but I can't make it work in a way that makes sense for both spouses.

I would also like the option for "Deceased" added to the relationship status list on the Property Box.

Thank you for considering my request.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Addition of death of deceased spouse in narrative reports

Post by tatewise »

Try adding the following expression to the very end of the Marriage event Sentence Template via Tools > Fact Types...

{=FactSentence(%CUR_PRIN2.DEAT%)}

That should work in FH V6 and definitely works in FH V7.

CUR_PRIN2 always refers to the other spouse/partner. (See Understanding Data References.)

If CUR_PRIN2.DEAT does not exist then no sentence is produced.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
libertygenealogist
Silver

Post by libertygenealogist »

Thanks, Mike Tate! That expression did work just like I wanted. Is there a way to use only the first name of the other spouse so it doesn't repeat the whole name twice in a row?

Example using expression:
She married Nathan Michael BAILEY on July 20, 2002 in Norcross, Gwinnett, Georgia. Nathan Michael BAILEY died on December 12, 2006 in Athens, Clarke, Georgia.

Desired outcome:
She married Nathan Michael BAILEY on July 20, 2002 in Norcross, Gwinnett, Georgia. Nathan died on December 12, 2006 in Athens, Clarke, Georgia.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since your request has been almost completely answered, I've moved this thread to the FH General Usage forum, which is where it should have been asked in the first place. The New Wish List Requests forum is intended for desired features that have no suitable existing solution.

I doubt it is possible to reduce the name to just the forename, as that is the way the =FactSentence(...) function works.
However, I will look to see if it is somehow possible, but it won't be for a while as I am taking a break next week.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry