* Census UK Tab - my take

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
heathermary
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Re: Census UK Tab - my take

Post by heathermary »

I am not sure if anyone has read my last question. I am stuck not knowing whether to keep the Census UK tab because it doesn't seem to work for anybody whose entry was under Family, only for individuals. Please can somebody confirm this? If it is the case I may want to delete the tab completely but I don't know how to do this either! Please can anyone help? :)
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Heathermary, sorry but it is not possible to include Census (family) or any other Family events such as Marriage & Divorce.
That is because the Property Box custom tab expressions do not allow switching to any other record and that is a major limitation to the usefulness of custom tabs.

BTW: This is another example of why we recommend against using Census (family) events.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Recording from a Census Record for further details.

To delete a tab, use the cog Menu > Customize Property Box..., select the Tab:, and use More Tab Tasks > Delete Tab....
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
heathermary
Diamond

Post by heathermary »

Many thanks for that information; I had not realised it was better to add everyone individually.
I have used FH since the beginning but, like many others, I have not always been able to keep up with my research and I have never really got to grips with all the ins and outs. It is now that I find I have lots of entries that I would do differently but I know hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Never having understood, for example, Ancestral Sources I have always entered census records to each person and therefore the family category seemed the best way to link the husband and wife. It is because I do not have the expertise to make use of all the clever things FH can do that my large tree is rather basic but it has done me well, gives me the information I need and I do not want to change to anything else. There is no way, however, that I feel confident enough to upgrade to v7 which sounds marvellous but even more complicated so I am grateful that I can still get help for v6 and I do hope you never change that. Thanks again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I understand completely and we will try and help as much as possible, but a reducing number of us are using FH V5 & V6, so as time goes by the ability to give reliable advice will inevitably decline. Sorry.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

heathermary wrote: 16 Jun 2022 05:46 There is no way, however, that I feel confident enough to upgrade to v7 which sounds marvellous but even more complicated so I am grateful that I can still get help for v6 and I do hope you never change that. Thanks again.
Heather,
As a user of V7, and one who also tries to keep it simple (I don’t use Ancestral Sources, or Templates either :lol: ), I think you’ll find a move to V7 is quite simple and certainly not something to concern yourself over.
I find it so similar to V6 that I didn’t need to change the way I work one iota., and do not find it any more complicated than V6.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
heathermary
Diamond

Post by heathermary »

That is very reassuring, thank you. I will certainly consider it. :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree with Mike Loney. There are a few minor customisations needed to make FH V7 look more like FH V6 but apart from that you can mostly ignore the new V7 features in much the same way as you have ignored the custom tab feature.
However, you may actually discover that some features are useful to you. That seems to be the experience of most users who have upgraded from V6 to V7.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Heather, I agree with the two Mikes. I made the customisations to make FH V7 look more like FH V6. I don't use the Templates however I do use Ancestral Sources (Thank you to Nick).

I do like the 'rich text' formatting feature in FH V7. I find that very useful in Text from Source to create tables and in Notes. I also like the fact you can have active web links. I am glad I 'took the plunge' and updated.
heathermary
Diamond

Post by heathermary »

Thank you it is reassuring to know what others think. It has taken me years to learn some of the functions of v6! :D
heathermary
Diamond

Post by heathermary »

I have given all this much thought over the weekend and will read up about v7 and make a decision soon. I had originally thought I would stick with v6 because it does what I need it to do and v7 sounds more complicated. I am happy using a computer but I don't know how to do half the things that come up in the forum.
If I do purchase v7 I may well need help in how to customise it but presumably that will be under a different topic. I love that the forum is there and I am sure the knowledge base covers everything necessary but I want to do more research on my tree and refine the records I already have rather than spend hours possibly tying myself in knots with all the possibilities.
Many thanks to everyone for all help and encouragement. :)
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

If if makes you feel any better, I generally consider myself very computer software savvy, yet, like you, I have difficulties with at least half the stuff that comes up in this forum. For instance, queries (beyond the basic ones) remind me of math and I just freeze - I see all those numbers, letters, and parentheses and I've no clue what's going on.

v7 has some cool features you can take your time to learn. I love the source templates (though I'm sure I've made mistakes - they work for me) and the notes etc.

I too love the forum - we get such great help here with the experts being super patient and kind.

Teresa
heathermary wrote: 20 Jun 2022 10:02 I have given all this much thought over the weekend and will read up about v7 and make a decision soon. I had originally thought I would stick with v6 because it does what I need it to do and v7 sounds more complicated. I am happy using a computer but I don't know how to do half the things that come up in the forum.
If I do purchase v7 I may well need help in how to customise it but presumably that will be under a different topic. I love that the forum is there and I am sure the knowledge base covers everything necessary but I want to do more research on my tree and refine the records I already have rather than spend hours possibly tying myself in knots with all the possibilities.
Many thanks to everyone for all help and encouragement. :)
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ukwiz

Post by ukwiz »

I installed FH Property Box - Census UK tab for Individuals NG edit.fhpbt on FH7, but all text boxes seem to be read-only. Is there a setting I am missing?

Regards
David
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

No,
they are only there to give a quick, unclutterd view of the census facts, and as such are read-only.

You need to go to the Facts tab to edit or add new entries
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, welcome to the FHUG.
There are various forms of Census custom Property Box tabs available in the FHUG Downloads:
Census
Census UK
Census USA (sorted a-z, or z-a)

The first tab summarises each instance of the Census Events on the Facts tab using the [n] index format.
It does allow data to be entered on the tab, but does not show gaps in the Census years.

The other two use the [year=nnnn] index format that ensures they are in year order and gaps are obvious.
However, that index format is read-only, so Census data cannot be entered via those tabs.

As Mike Loney says, Census Events are typically managed via the Facts tab and initially captured using Source driven data entry methods involving Source Templates, Data Entry Assistants, or the Ancestral Sources companion program.
If you need more information about how to use those tools then please ask.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jsphillips »

I have downloaded successully the Census tab I do not use citations
How do I print this info please as no print tab and it is different from published reports on Census ??
Thank you for any help
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Property Box tabs are not designed to be printed and have no Print capability.
What exactly would you want printed anyway?
If you just want a printout of what you see on screen, then use any of the screen capture tools like Windows Snip & Sketch which has a Print option (Ctrl+P) via the . . . menu top right. Alternatively, if you don't want a printed hard copy but just a file then it has a Save (Ctrl+S) option too.
The previous Windows Snipping Tool has almost exactly the same options.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

As Mike says, the best you can do is take a screenshot and insert the image in your notes. That's what I have done when wanting to illustrate census info for an ancestor/collateral in a blog post. FH screens translate beautifully to screenshots - I use them all the time in my work.

Teresa
tatewise wrote: 29 Sep 2022 14:46 <SNIP>
If you just want a printout of what you see on screen, then use any of the screen capture tools like Windows Snip & Sketch which has a Print option (Ctrl+P) via the . . . menu top right. Alternatively, if you don't want a printed hard copy but just a file then it has a Save (Ctrl+S) option too.
The previous Windows Snipping Tool has almost exactly the same options.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you all
Yes I so use Snip & Sketch and snipping tool
In my uninitiated mind I wonder why like in the old days everything could be printed from screen by Ctrl P regardless of what was represented on it ? Do developers block his off ?
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

reply 2
I often make Notes regarding the census ie whether the address was visited and when.
Is it possible to add the notes into the Tab ?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you use the File > Print... (Ctrl+P) command in FH it explains what can be printed.
If it printed the FH screen, it would include the Focus Window or whatever else was displayed, not just the Property Box tab.

When you say you have added the Census tab I take that literally and you don't mean the Census UK tab.
This is how to add Notes but it will make the tab quite tall.
  1. Display the Census tab
  2. Use cog menu option Customize Property Box...
  3. Untick Show most commonly-used items only
  4. Select <Custom Item> and add > to Selected Items
  5. Fill in the Edit Item settings as shown below and click OK
  6. Use the move-up black arrow to position the new item just below Census 1 address
  7. Repeat steps 4 - 6 for Item Name: Census n Note and Data Reference: %INDI.CENS[n].NOTE2[1]% for n = 2 to 8
  8. In the Customize Property Box dialogue click OK
Census Notes.png
Census Notes.png (52.63 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you Mike
I was not explicit I apologise
I have downloaded the Census UK tab
I wanted to add inside this the notes I had made about the Census
eg Visited this property on xxxxx see also the Street view of premises etc etc
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This is how to add Notes to the Census UK tab but it will make the tab quite tall.
  1. Display the Census UK tab
  2. Use cog menu option Customize Property Box...
  3. Untick Show most commonly-used items only
  4. Select <Custom Item> and add > to Selected Items
  5. Fill in the Edit Item settings as shown below and click OK
  6. Use the move-up black arrow to position the new item just below Census 1841 Occupation
  7. Repeat steps 4 - 6 for Item Name: Census yyyy Note and Data Reference: INDI.CENS[year=yyyy].NOTE2 for each value of yyyy from 1851 to 1911 and similarly for Register 1939
  8. In the Customize Property Box dialogue click OK
Census Notes.png
Census Notes.png (59.32 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Very grateful will try if too big will leave out ie reverse ?
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I haven't worked on census tab
What I do is save the census image in a file. I have a folder in FH Projects called family information. In this folder are loads of sub folders with surnames including census and BMD certificates.
Using AS I add the appropriate image to the person I am adding details to. This includes census from what ever country
These are then shown on the census tab

Victor
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

victor wrote: 30 Sep 2022 08:51 I haven't worked on census tab
What I do is save the census image in a file. I have a folder in FH Projects called family information. In this folder are loads of sub folders with surnames including census and BMD certificates.
Using AS I add the appropriate image to the person I am adding details to. This includes census from what ever country
These are then shown on the census tab

Victor
Not sure what you mean Victor, you seem to imply that the image you add via AS is shown on the Census tab?
My take on the tab (the basis of this thread), only shows data entered for indviduals. As Mike said earlier, it is not for input as it is read only. I too use AS to add census entries, with images, and the tab in FH is purely a visual aid to show me if an indvidual has census data added.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall