* Adding a generic source to FH7

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Adding a generic source to FH7

Post by janefrances »

I've downloaded a trial version of the above with a view to upgrading to FH7 and after playing around with it for a couple of days decided I don't really want to use the templates as all of my sources were manually added using the Add Text to source option on the Facts Tab.

The only way I could find to add a source without using the templates was to do the following:

Click Alto Yellow Source button on the top of the focus screen and selected add New Generic Source from the drop down menu. I then filled in the Prepared Citation - Tabbed across to Text from Source - Show Source record & citation specific - Add text from source button at the bottom and select the Empty Text option, Is this right? Many thanks.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adding a generic source to FH7

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Have you seen Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders)?

You may also find Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources useful.

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing if it suits you. There is another way to create a new Generic Source -- from the Source record window (right click on some empty space). New Source at this point automatically creates a Generic Source.
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thank you, I've looked at the two topics you mention, and tried to use the Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple style sources) but got stuck on:
' Set Height to Variable and adjust Weight ok but I didn't know what the weight to reflect the share of the vertical space meant.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

From the Help file:
The weight (vertical weight this is) is normally a number between5 and 10. The higher the number the greater the height of the item. Bear in mind that the height will vary, depending on the available height - which is determined by the overall height of the Property Box. If a particular tab has 3 items which have variable height, and their respective weights are let us say 5, 3and 7 (which happen to make 15 in total), Family Historian will assign 5/15 of the available free height to the first item, 3/15to the second, and 7/15 to the third.
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Sorry, I've got no idea what that means, :? Maybe I'll just leave things as they are! Lol. Thanks anyway.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If you just leave that setting at its default value, it should be fine. (Unless you're really picky :D )