* Moving default Projects folder from C drive to external drive

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
suepawling
Family Historian: V7

Moving default Projects folder from C drive to external drive

Post by suepawling »

This is my first post so please excuse any errors in the way I am doing it,
I want to move the folder Family Historian Projects and its contents from the documents folder in C to an external hard drive. I have copied the folder onto the hard drive but each time I go to the project window and select the new address I get an error message "You have specified a folder location that appears to be within another folder". What am I doing wrong? My aim is to have the ongoing project on a drive that I can move between laptops and save backups onto the laptop in use.
All advice gratefully received.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Moving default Projects folder from C drive to external drive

Post by tatewise »

Have you seen the FHUG Knowledge Base Understanding Projects which among other things explains about relocating Projects.

If you have moved the entire Family Historian Projects folder and contents to another disk drive, then you should be able to choose that Family Historian Projects folder in its new location.
In the File > Project Window... use More Tasks... > Project List > Choose Location for Projects, and browse to that new Family Historian Projects folder. Do not select any of its sub-folders, which it sounds like you are doing.

Then remember to set your preferred Project as the Default, otherwise FH will continue to try and open it in its original C: drive location.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
suepawling

Re: Moving default Projects folder from C drive to external drive

Post by suepawling »

Thanks. I will try again.