* deleting the wrong people

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
margett1
Silver
Family Historian: None

deleting the wrong people

Post by margett1 »

I am using version7 and have been using Family Historian since it came out.
Thanks to the 1921 census I have discovered that I have been following the wrong line on my grandfathers side. I have gone back many generations and have many entries. There is a possibility that a few generations back some of the entries might be relevant to my new findings so I don't want to lose them. I think I know what I have to do but am frightened to do it so I will ask. Am I correct in thinking that if I unlink say, my grandfather, all his ancestors will disappear from my tree but will still be in my records? And what happens to the media for those names?
Many thanks for any help.
Margett
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: deleting the wrong people

Post by tatewise »

Yes, if you Unlink any Individual record then all their other relationships and associated Citations and Media will all remain intact but in a separate family tree.
e.g.
In the Focus Window, right-click your grandfather and Unlink Record, and you will see just his family tree.
Click the Home toolbar icon and you will return to your main family tree, but missing your grandfather.
Run the Query > Relatives and Relationships > Search For Orphans to identify the family tree Relationship Pools.
Your main family tree will be in Pool 1 and your grandfather's separate tree will probably be in Pool 2, unless you have other unrelated Pools of Individuals.

You may have to delete Family facts such as Marriage that were recorded against your grandmother and grandfather but are no longer valid.

You would be wise to perform a Backup beforehand, but the GEDCOM Snapshots will probably be sufficient to restore the original links if you need to.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
margett1
Silver
Family Historian: None

Re: deleting the wrong people

Post by margett1 »

Thank you Mike. It worked!

Margett McConnell