* How to change .rtf narrative back into Book format?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
klm2OUMK
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

How to change .rtf narrative back into Book format?

Post by klm2OUMK »

Recently I saved a Book narrative chapter as .rtf word processing to add images.

I now can't find the original narrative chapter in the original Book I created which is blank.

How can I re save the .rtf version back into the original Book text format?
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: How to change .rtf narrative back into Book format?

Post by Mark1834 »

Sorry, I don't think that is possible. You are effectively asking FH to import an RTF document and convert it to a book, which it cannot do.

The best option is probably to copy the RTF text and paste it back into the book.
Mark Draper
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thanks Mark. I thought that might be the case, so will try the paste idea
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is not possible to save a Book Chapter as an RTF on its own.
When viewing a Book, the only option is Save Book As... either PDF or RTF, not separate Chapters.

Perhaps, you used Publish > Narrative Reports... and then used Save Report As... and RTF.
That would explain why the Narrative Report is not in the Book.

Why not just republish the Narrative Report and save its settings as a Custom Report Type.
Then you can import that Custom Report Type into your Book Chapter.
Then to add images you need to use Save Book As... and use RTF, but then there is no going back to FH.

Is it not possible to include the images in any of the Reports in the Book Chapter using FH?
Have you sees FHUG KB advice Creating a Book Book Free Page Content that allows wordprocesor style pages to be created including images and added to a Book?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

I have only just picked up your reply this morning . Thank you for your very helpful suggestions. I will try to recover my .rtf chapter back into the book using your ideas in the next few days and let you know how I got on
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

I have just started to try to republish my original Free Text Narrative Report & save settings as a Custom Report Type.

- what type of 'Word' Custom Report does FH Book use / support that I need to select?
- then how do I 'import' the Custom Report back into FH Book?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I will do my best to answer your questions but not sure that I fully understand your problem.
It would help if you described exactly the commands or buttons that you have used or are trying to use and what your objectives are.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Free Text Narrative Report".
I will assume you are using the Publish > Narrative Reports > Ancestors By Generation command.
You have adjusted the Report > Options settings so the displayed report is exactly how it is to appear in the Book chapter.
You have saved the settings using Save Report As... > Custom Report Type... and given it a name such as My Narrative.

In the Edit Book dialogue, you wish to include that Custom Report Type My Narrative as a chapter.
So in the Available Items on the left choose Other Report... and select the custom name used above, e.g. My Narrative.
Choose the same Starting Person and the number of Generations as before.
Then the Book chapter should look just like the custom report you designed above.

None of the steps above involves saving as a Word document.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry